Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matco Master Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matco Master Cylinders

I know a few guys have used Matco master cylinders on their 4-place BHs. I'm wondering which ones were used. Matco think it was the MC-4 cylinders but those don't quite match the dimensions of the Gerdes cylinders I would like to replace. I talked with Matco and it looks like I need to order MC-4NGA cylinders but have them built with RNS bodies.

So, what Matco master cylinders had you guys used on your 4-place BHs?
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

I’m away from home so I can’t tell you which model I used, but I built an extension out of 4130 tubing that slips over the top of the screw on fitting at the top of the cylinder to get the proper length. I was very disappointed in the Gerdes cylinders, one needed to be rebuilt before I even made the first flight and the second one lasted a about a year, at that point I put the Matco cylinders in and haven’t had a problem since.

Comment

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the MC-4NGA cylinders with RNS bodies. I'll report back how they fit.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the MC-4NGA cylinders with RNS bodies. I'll report back how they fit.
        How do they fit?

Comment

Good. They have much more travel so I was somewhat concerned they could cam over and jam the pedals if the fluid leaked out so I put a piece of fuel hose over the shaft similar to what is done on Cessna nose struts. Maybe it wasn’t necessary but it made me feel better. They have been working flawless so I’ll be swapping out the other two Gerdes.

Comment

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good to hear. Matco masters have a pretty bad reputation up here with not making enough pressure to get 31s stopped.

• whee
            whee commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I thought I measured the bore of the Gerdes to make sure is bought comparable Matcos. Maybe not, but these have been working fine and can lock up an 850.

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah ya I've only heard issues with bushwheels. I'm sure they're fine on 850s.
        Working...
        X