Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand about the rubber hose interrupting the ground at the wing roots, but I have installed aux tanks with Facet pumps between the aux and main tanks. Would that not ground both the aux and main tank through the aluminum fuel line to the Facet pump with is mounted to a wing rib?
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      See the concern expressed in post #19. I will be checking all my fittings to see if the electrical continuity is effected as it travels thru anodized AL fittings the pipe thread sealant. I still like the solution in post #28.

After pondering this thread, I ended up just using an AN742-D16 clamp on the outlet bung of each tank (with No-Ox applied to all mating surfaces). Equivalent to post #28 but saved me a bit of fab time vs making my own clamp out of scrap (which I have plenty of!).
    . IMG_4515.jpg
    Last edited by Dpearson; 04-18-2024, 11:41 PM.

Comment

How I did mine. I welded tabs to all four tanks: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=280695&row=20

Comment

Is grounding required for all fuel tanks regardless of whether you have fuel pumps or rely on gravity alone?

Comment

Per AC 43-13B:

11-191. FUEL SYSTEMS. Small metallic
          objects within an aircraft fuel tank, that are not
          part of the tank structure, should be electrically
          bonded to the structure so as to dissipate static
          charges that may otherwise accumulate on
          these objects. A practical bonding design
          would use a flexible braided jumper wire or
          riveted bracket. In such situations, a DC resistance
          of 1 ohm or less should indicate an
          adequate connection. Care should be taken, in
          designing such connections, to avoid creating
          continuous current paths that could allow
          lightning or power fault currents to pass
          through connections not designed to tolerate
          these higher amplitude currents without arcing.
          Simulated static charge, lightning, or fault current
          tests may be necessary to establish or verify
          specific designs. All other fuel system
          components, such as fuel line (line to line) access
          doors, fuel line supports, structural parts,
          fuel outlets, or brackets should have an electromechanical
          (bonding strap) secure connector
          that ensures 1 ohm or less resistance to the
          structure. Advisory Circular 20-53A Protection
          of Aircraft Fuel Systems Against Fuel Vapor
          Ignition Due to Lightning, and associate
          manual DOT/FAA/ CT-83/3, provide detailed
          information on necessary precautions.​

Comment

OK, I need a layman’s explanation.

Luckily BrokenStraw brought this to my attention as I missed it in the build process. I have braided ground material that I used to ground the engine to the fuselage. If I put an adel clamp on the fuel tank and use this braided material, what should I attach it to? A wing rib? I am at a total loss on this. Please help as this has come up just in time for me to get it done prior to hanging wings.
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• rkennell
              rkennell commented
              Editing a comment
              I would like some clarification as well. I understand the clamp and the no-lox but what size ground wire needs to be used and does it go to a rib or back to the fuselage to a ground block?

I would use a three inch long piece of 20 awg tefzel wire and crimp on PIDG ring terminals on each end. One ring for 3/16” bolt on the loop clamp. One for #6 machine screw. I then would drill a 9/64” hole in the wing rib and attach the wire to it. Then check it for continuity. Keep it small simple and light.

if you don’t have a crimper, PIDG terminals, or wire lying around wait on it until you do your electrical. You’ll have all that stuff in your inventory then.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

In addition to what Brooks said, make sure the area on the tank and rib is free of any crud or paint. They have bonding brushes specifically designed for this purpose, but a bit of sandpaper will do. Put some dielectric grease on each surface when you put it together and you're good to go.

Stainless steel brushes designed to remove corrosion, paint and other contaminants from rivet hole area. Assures positive electrical contact it eliminate static electricity. Made with special ring to provide a more rigid surface area. These brushes are used primarly for aircraft assembly and in the aerospace industry.

Comment

I didn't use this, but I saw an all metal Adel clamp onto a hard fuel line. Clean the oxidation off the line and cad plating or whatever off the clamp. Seemed like an easy solution. Check anything you do with a multimeter for continuity/resistance.

Comment

Working...
                X