Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeromomentum AM20T 260HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto conversions done wrong can be disastrous .....but I think Viking has learned from previous problems and built a solid offering....

this is is a video with some testimonials and owners

Viking Aircraft EnginesThis video show the ease at which GDI Viking engines start at any temperature / altitude

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
      Thousands of hours on how many engines? I want to see many engines with thousands of hours.

I think everybody would like to see it work. The cost of engines is one of the worst things about aviation. A new IO-540 shouldn't cost the same as a BMW.
      If people want to truely experiment that that's what this section of aviation is for, but the truth is none of the alternative engine companies have been around long enough to have enough hours on engines to truly find problems. Look at the early rotax 912UL, it took them years and millions of hours to iron it out to the reliability it has. Look at Jabiru, not enough engines, not enough hours, and very low reliability. Rotec Radials are more or less time bombs you install on the front of your aircraft, and that's not exactly new engineering, but they don't have the resources to properly test these things for safe flight in aircraft.
      With the traditional aircraft engine manufacturers, lycoming, continental and now rotax since they did spend the money and do have the fleet hours, you have a known safe product that gets enough use to find new issues.

Comment

I really hope Aeromomentum and Viking (and others) are successful. I am rooting for them. I am just not willing to spend my money to fund their R&D. This is the second time around for the owner of Viking. I think everyone wants to see them succeed.

Comment

• WylieECoyote
          WylieECoyote commented
          Editing a comment
          Aeromomentum tested their engines and PSRUs on jetboats, then airboats in order to prove their designs. It was quite smart really. No lives at stake on the ground. After 11+ years they have released it for airplanes.

Any thoughts on austro engine AE330 Diamond aircraft runs the AE300 https://austroengine.at/en/products

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          They are probably wonderful engines. I bet I can't afford one.

• zkelley2
          zkelley2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd love to explore it, but the price tag makes it a non starter.

The real issue with engines is that as soon as a manufacturer spends sometime and money to design and build a good engine the cost goes up exponentially.

Look where Rotax has gone with pricing. So 20 grand for a engine with 0 track record is a big pill to swallow. I would have no issue flying behind the aero

momentums smaller engines,100 - 120 hp out of a small 4 cylinder with the super light props available for this HP range is a reasonable and simple, Double the

Hp at the same RPM - boost pressure and ad the weight of heavy C/S propeller and you have a completely different animal on your hands.

The whole cost issue is not just a engine problem , the same can easily be said for parts we can often source aircraft parts cheaper from certified sources than

from kit manufacturers.Particular Cub and 170 parts.

I always had a soft sot for the rotary Mazda engines , unfortunately no one has done any further development.

The price and aftermarket support sure are right , not to many of todays Honda or Subarus will have parts available for more than 10 to 15 years.

I would highly recommend to consider that before buying what seems to be a modern car engine.

VW, Mazda rotaries and Corvair engines are more of a cult following that will have parts available for Years to come.

cheers.....

Comment

Working...
        X