Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open letter to desert Bearhawk and Alaska Bearhawk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to desert Bearhawk and Alaska Bearhawk...

Both of these guys are YouTube stars.....

thier projects are both at the stage that both quick builders and scratch builders would be interested in what they are doing....

Alaska built his fuselage and bought the quick built wings and desert built the wings and bought the fuselage...

they both have great screen presence and people that don't even know what a Bearhawk is love to watch them...

so I say bravo gentlemen.....please don't stop, put what ever you're kicking around the workshop on video..we and the world would love to see it....

i think with a little media push the Bearhawk could give vans rv a run for the money....
    Last edited by way_up_north; 12-18-2018, 02:29 PM.

Couldn't agree more! There's just not enough Bearhawk presence on YouTube. I appreciate Battson's flying videos. But would love to see more build videos.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

HEAR, HEAR !!!! I completely agree!

As a brand new builder (official start date of Thanksgiving 2018, when I cut my mylar rib drawing!), the YouTube videos, and Bearhawk Forum has been invaluable!!!

I am a recovering RV-6 builder (unsuccessful former wannabe) that has been in therapy for about 20-years (funny thing...my two kids are in their very early 20's...wonder if that had something to do with this...I digress...), and I could not be happier to be starting this Bearhawk project!!!

I have watched every video available from John Snapp (n3uw), Dave Bottita (Desert Bearhawk), DreamBuildFly, and others (multiple,multiple times) to better understand the build process!

These Bearhawk building and flying videos, along with photos and blog post were instrumental in obtaining project authorization from the Minister of Finance and Recreation !!!

Thanks to the availability of all this information and assistance through this forum, in less than 4-weeks of working in the evenings after work (well north of 40-hour/week !!), I have finished all of my rib cutting/forming template/blocks, rough cut all the the wing rib blanks over the last weekend, and actually started routering flap nose ribs last night!

Thank you to everyone willing to answer questions and share their work!!!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Karl
      Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
      Northern Idaho

Comment

• way_up_north
        way_up_north commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow...looks great. Nothing sexier then Bearhawk form blocks...never get sick of looking at them.

May I suggest another very good you tube channel for your consideration....the ch wing is of aluminum construction similar to ours except the riveting.....Greg ch750 ......Greg has a much watch drafting layout video that I highly recommend.

Thanks!

here is another good video...

I used this method to transfer the the jig pin holes to the stack of blanks. worked great!
      Karl
      Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
      Northern Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by kilohotel View Post
        Thanks!

here is another good video...

I used this method to transfer the the jig pin holes to the stack of blanks. worked great!
        His video has 74,000 views...it shows that there is an audience for Scratchbuilding ....no talking, just a start to finish step by step with some cool tunes..

The only thing I would do diffrently is clean up the tight corners with a rat tail file instead of the small hand held router he was using...I find it's too easy to gouge your form and mess it up with these small hand held tools...

He also used a pass through punch rather then Eric newtons recommended 4130 insert sleeves ... To stop the holes from being enlarged...something desert Bearhawk has mentioned

This video format....a show video..not a tell video...
        lets the viewer imagine thier in his place and can do it too....

youtube magic

Last edited by way_up_north; 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X