Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail light install wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light install wiring

Need help or ideas to run wire to a tail light located on the rudder. How do you install from tail post to get past rudder post. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete Falkner

Or make it easy and use wing lights with integral rear whites........

Comment

The tail light wiring on my Maule ran around one side of the tailpost and the other side of the rudder with a little slack between and was just covered by the fabric. When I recovered the plane I used some grommets in the fabric. If you can weld, I would consider installing a small diameter tube through the tailpost and rudder at the same height to run the wire through. I have to agree with Paul though, much cleaner to just use a wingtip light that has position, tail and strobes all in one unit. That works with the Bearhawk wing tips.

Comment

Drilling a hole in the tail post and the rudder at the same height and welding in bushings is the way I've seen it done. If I was going to have a tail light I'd probably be lazy and do it like a Maule. However, I was even lazier than that and used wing tip lights with integral rear lights.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Was going to say the same as Rod. My Maule runs out the fabric, around the post, back through the fabric on the rudder. But the small-diameter tube through the tailpost, as mentioned, would be my preferred method. But usually laziness takes over for me sometimes
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I thought of the small diameter tube method but was concerned it would end up chafing the wire on full rudder deflections. I kinda like the wing tip method . Thanks for the info.

Comment

Or you could make it really hard and put them in the trailing edge of your wing tips. ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X