Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surviving in -60 winter weather conditions, no shelter, no fire...indefinitely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well, it was worth a shot, I guess. Back to the subject of keeping warm in this frigid arctic blast.

Bill

Comment

I flew our Patrol today. It was cold out with temps in the 20s. The engine stayed cooler than I like and if I was going to do this very much I would work on warming it up. Does make one think of "what if ..."

When I read the first few posts of this thread the takeaway that I got and appreciated was the thought about taking advantage of ALL the resourses available if stuck in survival situation. I would not consider the seats as part of my survival gear but if in a bad situation I might be glad to consider resources I might have otherwise not thought of.

I like this forum a lot and have learned much from it. It seems like we can be a bit hard on each other at times but the position of that line is subjective. I would hope we can shrug a lot when warranted a criticize/police less unless something is way over the line. My $,02...

Comment

I guess if the thread was about how to make BH seats that can do double duty as survival gear, I would have no issue with it.

Comment

How about a gasoline powered small catalytic heater that you could plumb into the fuel system--- (assuming you didn't run out of fuel :-)

AND--- a take-down 45-70 lever gun for anti-bear and maybe food -- and a hand held radio and some flares.... signal mirror---- 2 lbs beef jerky and
          a small water filter. Small aluminum tea kettle for turning the snow to water with the heat from the heater. Space blanket. Bivey sack to add to your foam.
          Lastly a first aid kit.
          Maybe instead of foam--- pre-make thick polyester fleece blankets (maybe with zippers at the edges) and use those as the seat cushons. They could be
          inside a zip-up canvas cover which holds them onto the seat frame. With zippered edges several could be zipper together to make a closed bag-----

Tim
          Last edited by fairchild; 01-31-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Airplane building surviving at -60F? It does slow it even further anyway. The official NWS station in Cotton is two miles east of me, we've been listed as the official low temp of the lower 48 states too many days this winter, including -46F last weekend and -56F this morning. No, that's not windchill.

Comment

Working...
            X