Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-Place Bearhawk with removable wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Place Bearhawk with removable wings

Has anyone tried building a 4-place bearhawk with removable wings? I know it's a crazy question.

Mine are removable, just four bolts! I doubt that's what you mean of course. The question comes up occasionally, but the short answer is that more quickly folding systems will increase weight and decrease safety, all while not really providing that much utility.

Comment

I hope there are more than four bolts holding on your wings. ........... : )

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        One at each main spar and one ar each rear spar of course.

Originally posted by cgalutera1 View Post
      Has anyone tried building a 4-place bearhawk with removable wings? I know it's a crazy question.
      Im a builder not a flyer...so take my advice for what it's worth......your idea crossed my mind also...( to save money on hanger costs)

The Bearhawk wings can be removed....as with most planes there is not that much to unbolt....

but...fuel needs to be drained and put somewhere.....flap cables....ailerons cables....pitot tube....electrical....

then you have a heavy wing up high(relative to a 2 place sonex wing with no fuel tanks)....you need a drywall lift or similar jig to help you if you don't have 3 or 4 buddies to help you....plus the other wing needs to be held up while you remove one side....

the Bearhawk wing is built light and strong...it's just not worth the risk of dropping it...any damage is weeks of work to repair....

something to to consider is this.... Most planes in Alaska live all year long outside...tied down....they are doing great(sweep the snow off during heavy storms...ect)

invest in a set of good plane covers and tie your plane down and leave it out there in the elements....that's my plan
      Last edited by way_up_north; 02-02-2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I agree. Even after fuel is drained, the wings are going be heavy and unwieldy for one person to operate, even two. Control cables and related (re)rigging I would also expect to be a concern being cable actuated versus pushrod types of those that fold often use in their design. It would be a tough sell for me, personally.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Some folks have been interested in wing folding for towing, and it has been pointed out that the horizontal stabilizer is also too wide to tow. If wing folding is a high priority, the Sportsman is probably a better project, since it has already been engineered for it.

Comment

Jared,

Next preflight please check for bolts at both ends of the
            wing struts they are kinda important too for holding on the wing ! : )

Comment

Folding wings would add a lot of weight and complexity. Other than draining fuel, removing them isn't that hard. Where I live storage big enough for a plane without wings costs about the same as a T-hanger. Not worth moving.

I made adjustable height rotisseries out of the wing crates. I can remove or install the wings very easily, and safely, by myself. I will be putting them back on to make sure the fuel lines and control cables are sorted, then close them. I plan on keep the rotisseries in the corner of the hanger, along with the wing supports, also made out of the wing crates.

If anybody wants to use them to drill their wings and don't live to far away, they are welcome to use them.

Comment

I was researching something completely unrelated to this ...this link popped up in google search with pictures of folding wings.....just to give an idea of the engineering involved..a number of people have inquired about the folding option as well on here over the years...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=153136
                Last edited by way_up_north; 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X