Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol for 3-people and acro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol for 3-people and acro?

I am on a quest for my next plane and some things I wish I could have are an aerobatic machine and the ability to hold more than 2-people. I see on the website that the patrol is mentioned as being aerobatic capable (although not listed in that category) and able to carry two passengers in the back.

how realistsic are those claims? Also, how many patrols are flying and do they come available for sale often?

thx

I guess a Patrol could be as much of a 3-person aircraft as a Piper Super Cruiser, but I don't think it would be comfortable. For a couple of young ones, perhaps, but certainly not adults.

I can't answer the aerobatic question, I'm afraid. I'm more of a right-side-up kinda guy
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

One of the most important parts of selecting a plane or project is defining the mission. Could it be done? Perhaps. Would it be an optimal tool for the job? I'd say no. Have you looked at the Navion, or Bellanca Viking?

Comment

I will give a somewhat different answer to the above posters.

Acro - the Patrol has been put through its paces by a couple of acro pilots. You can read one of the reviews by Greg King on our website. www.bearhawkaircraft.com. At a reduced weight (less than gross), you have excellent strength in the wings. What is not stressed for acro are things like the seats. You would not want to pull 4 or 5 G's it would seem to me. I know most acro can be done at 3 G's more or less. Just rolls and hammerheads etc would not be a problem. You would not want to fall out of a loop and pull a lot more G's. Your experience with acro is something that is a factor here. If you are new and just interested - the answers given above are correct. Not appropriate. If you have a lot of time doing acro and are good - then the answer is perhaps more positive.

The back seat is pretty big but not for two BIG guys. Bob Barrows has flown with a 340 lb passenger in the back and the plane does fine. The CG would not likely be a problem. But the width of the seat is not for two lumberman. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
          One of the most important parts of selecting a plane or project is defining the mission. Could it be done? Perhaps. Would it be an optimal tool for the job? I'd say no. Have you looked at the Navion, or Bellanca Viking?
          I’m fairly certain that one single plane does not exist for my mission except for maybe the BD4. The issues caused by having to leave family at home are greater than the issues caused by not being able to do acro so I plan to buy something that will carry my family of 3 and not be “another 172/182 or Cherokee / Archer”. Nothing against those planes, I’m just looking for a more unique experience.

Bearhawk 4-place would probably work but I’m not sure how realistic it is to find a good one for under $100k

Comment

Agreed, it is hard to find one plane that does it all. We like the 4-Place Bearhawk because of how many things it does well for our mission. It lifts plenty of stuff, is roomy by airplane standards, flies/handles well, stalls slow, looks good, is buildable without industrial tooling, and is available as a kit. All of this without being so expensive to operate that solo joyrides are prohibitive.

Comment

I have ended up here searching for the same answer about the Patrol back seat. I have a wife that will go along if she has to and a 5 yr old son that wants to fly. My wife is tiny and son would be about 8 or 9 upon finishing the plane. What’s the width of the back seat? Could you put a jump seat in the baggage area? I come from a Supercub background and much prefer centerline seating.

Comment

I took a tallish lady that is into fitness, so thin, and her daughter that was about 7 years old for a ride in our Patrol. Worked fine.

Comment

A Patrol flies fine with a 340 lb guy in the back seat. Mark

Comment

Thanks guys. That makes my decision very easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X