Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Securing wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am no A&P but have also always been warned of zip ties against tubing. back in my ultralight days the common knowledge in our group was a quick wrap or two of electrical tape around the tube under the zip tie to both protect the tube and also you can see if a tie is cutting into the tape long before it gets to metal. I have seen scaring on tubes with zipties directly connected but it was only cutting paint, never seen it cut the metal itself, but that was enough to tell me i wanted something under the tie. I am also very intrigued and encouraged by those new Grip Lock ties and plan to order some soon to check them out. looks like best of both worlds between adel clamp and zip tie.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought a couple packs of griplocks, I like them a lot. Been using them frequently. We’ll see how they hold up.

Something to note about tie wraps.....if you want them to last, buy a quality black version. They are much more age stable and are not affected by UV. The white variety actually breaks down over time just being in the environment, plus they don't do well in UV. A single wrap of good electrical tape in exposed areas will further protect the tie wrap as well.

And avoid the HD stuff all together. Buy high end versions such as Panduit.

Mike

Comment

Working...
    X