Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duel battery installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Gentlemen. I have plenty to think about now. Always better to toss ideas around, it's like picking fruit. Gives you the option of choosing the best ones for your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
      I decided early on that I would go with the dual Light Speed Electronic Ignition. When discussing the design and layout of my panel with Jason Smith at Aerotronics, he highly recommended a split bus system (hot bus / main bus / avionic bus) with a single alternator and dual batteries and a 3rd backup battery. His recommendation came from his close relationship with Klaus Savier, the founder of Light Speed Engineering. This is what Klaus prefers. Below are the pics of my panel and confirms why it was built this way.

I suppose you could say the independent battery switches are the same as a Perko Switch. Bill is correct that we are continually debating this electrical arrangement. Having read some of the above comments, I am wondering if I should have a backup alternator now. I'm really at the point where I wish we could reach a consensus on the subject. I'm not enjoying the continual doubting.

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG
      Your dual battery setup will go longer than the fuel in the tanks will. I can't see why you'd need more.

That's some pretty carbon. Did you do it yourself?

Comment

• robcaldwell
        robcaldwell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. My panel was designed and built by Jason Smith with Aerotronics out of Billings, MT. Jason is close with Klaus Savier, the founder of Light Speed Engineering. So everything was designed and set up specifically for a dual EI using the Light Speed system.

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Any chance you know what the thickness of the carbon is?
    Working...
    X