Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP rating??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the Apex engine works out great. I don't think it can make 300, or even 150 reliable hp for any length of time. If it could, it would require a massive cooling system capable of cooling a 300 hp engine. I don't think the gearbox can handle that power. I don't think the gearbox could handle the weight or gyroscopic loads of the very substantial propellor required to convert 300 hp into thrust. The gearbox/prop will limit what you can get away with, even if you sort out the engine.

Hopefully it will turn into a good, reliable 100 ish hp conversion.

Comment

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's entirely possible to engineer a gearbox and prop that will work fine at any horsepower on that motor. All I'm saying is no one is doing all of the engineering because of cost. Resonance has nothing to do with horsepower or felt smoothness. Carbon is more a damper than a tuning fork like aluminum, but that doesn't excuse the testing required because if you find it's resonance or an order of it, it will also instantly and without warning fail.
Working...
X