Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idea for smartphone app...emergency landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea for smartphone app...emergency landing

Hi guys..

While I`m sitting here in global lockdown...thought Id post something ive been thinking of

keep in mind i`m not a pilot yet...just ground school and a few hrs in the air so maybe this idea is already out there and I dont know about it...

you ever been driving along a road or highway and thought...hey this would make a great emergency landing site...no wires...pretty flat....ect

especially in the country or deep in the woods and you're on a dirt road that would make a great emergency landing site...

What if there was a phone app to record this...

You press a button to start the entry to the runway....drive along and press a button at the end....the new phones record altitude.....GPS....compass heading ect...you would even have slope/grade ...the smartphones have an extreme level of tech in them....

pilots using the app over time you would create a database to upload to garmin or whomever....could offer in dire emergencies somewhere to touchdown...when you're not in range of an airport or out in the boonies...

I`m only interested in 1% of gross....keep me in mind when you sell it to google for 2 billion...lol

Sort of like dropping a pin on google earth ? I like the concept.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

That's exactly what I did on my phone. Google Earth is a great tool for searching for fields. In my paramotor days I found all sorts of great spots, from sod farms to open space.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

I think it is a more useful idea if you are flying in mountainous terrain. Actually very useful. I might do something similar. Great idea. If you are in a car, on a road, almost by definition, there are plenty of places to land. The world is mostly an empty place other than .1% of the land where there are huge populations. Non-pilots see the world as a place filled with people and cities and suburbs, because that is what they can see from their cars. Pilots see it as a huge, sparsely populated place with a few houses down below.

Believe it or not, if you are at 10k feet over New York City, you can glide to the suburbs if you lose an engine.

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          And apparently you can reach the Hudson from 3000ft

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          You could easily make the beaches of New Jersey or Long Island but you better have 10 dollars on you. If they catch you on the beach without paying for a "Beach Pass", they will, at a minimum, fine you heavily.
      Working...
      X