Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skylight weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight weight

I like to weigh stuff before I install it. My 1/8 Lexan skylight panel weighs 8.6 pounds. The rest of the added structure adds about 4 pounds. I also removed a little structure. Not included is the fasteners for the wing root and VHB tape for the 2 center formers. 13-14 lbs total. It is a fairly big skylight, going from the aft spar attach forward. This is on a 4 place.

The 2 center formers don't have fasteners other than the VHB tape. But they are removable with the skylight panel with 4 bolts each.

Can you post some pictures? I'm still trying to decide if I'm doing a skylight or not.
    4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
    IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      I will try to remember to take em and post them tonight. There are several other good threads about skylights.

Good information to share. Skylights are heavy, but totally worth it for those people who will be flying in the mountains or formation-flying.

Comment

I had expected more. My front connector (thanks Mark) is welded aluminum, and my rear connector is 1.5" x1/16" aluminum angle. Middle formers are 1/2" steel, same as the kit outer formers. You could probably do all welded steel for about 1 pound more.

Comment

Working...
      X