Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is everything needed to complete the plane included in the quick build kits except

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just received my kit this past August. This build does not spoon feed you like an RV kit where every step comes with an individually labeled component and a bag of hardware like. The kit comes with all of the major components called out in the plans. However, Mark does a really awesome job of providing a list of additional must have items not in the plans to purchase (fuel selector valve, wheels and brakes, brake master cylinders, etc...). He also offers a to coordinate a hardware kit purchase from Wicks Aviation to get you a vast majority of the nuts, bolts, pulleys and the like for building. I will say that the hardware list is slightly outdated, as Mark and I found out that the kit does not come with a bolt for the round tapered tail wheel spring (Pretty sure it's an AN6-15A, but still waiting on delivery). So it is imperative for us to give Mark feedback on what is currently needed as he's made improvements to the steps completed at the factory.

Although there are a lot of resources to help in the build process (The Kit builder manuals, Bearhawk.tips, this forum) there are a lot of specifics left out that requires you to dig into documents like AC 43.13 making you a much better mechanic for your airplane. Because it's not an RV type build when you're going thru the build process, the parts in the hardware kit aren't really earmarked for any specific part. So when you get to a step in your build and need a bolt, use the right bolt as laid out in AC 43.13.

I'm making this sound like this has been my mantra and it seems pretty preachy. I've really only become enlightened about this in the past week, so take that for whatever it's worth. As a converted scratch builder, if I could give any advice for those considering the kit, do it. You'll learn so much about how your airplane is put together. And Mark is there with you every step of the way. He doesn't leave you hanging after delivery, he's there to answer any questions you may have no matter how dumb.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second that last part! I ask lots of dumb questions. matter of fact, talking with Mark became a regular part of my social life for awhile. Very patient man.
      Last edited by AKKen07; 09-20-2020, 01:50 AM.

Just an update on the bolt for the round tapered tail wheel spring. It's actually an AN6-16A.

Comment

Working...
    X