Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is everything needed to complete the plane included in the quick build kits except

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is everything needed to complete the plane included in the quick build kits except

.... engine, instruments and paint?

I’ve heard that everything is there and I’ve heard that there are some things to source yourself. So what’s the scoop?

In my kit the airframe came completely welded and primed with no need for further welding. The wings came with one side riveted. A very limited number of hardware parts were supplied. Basically I needed to purchase most all of the hardware, rivets to close the wings, all wiring, all covering supplies, all electronics, wheels and brakes and tube and valves to assemble the fuel system. I think this is still the current state of the kit. Having said this Mark has made several improvements in the kit. If I were starting over I would appreciate the improvements in the new kit. Mark has made it much easier to complete the current kit.

Comment

At the time I purchased my Patrol Quick Build kit in April 2018 I had to purchase an additional $8,358 worth of hardware to get the firewall back mostly complete. Items included engine mounts, fuel valve, rod end bearings, Grove brakes, brake reservoir, Eric Newton tailwheel and tail wires which I made myself. Not included are the tires which I have yet to purchase. I believe the current kits have more of the labor done but I'm not sure if there is more material supplied. I can send you my list if interested.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you mean engine isolators (the rubber parts from Lord or similar)? The engine mount is included.

The full scoop can be found at Bearhawkaircraft.com

Last I checked a comprehensive list of what’s included with each kit could be found there.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I meant to say engine mount isolators not engine mount.
        Last edited by spinningwrench; 09-07-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

If you have questions like this you should get in touch. What was included with the kits in years past might not be the same as current production kits. Mark

Comment

You should consider a Bearhawk only if you want a superior design and kit product. It obvious you are doing a thorough analysis of cost, and comparison of performance of what the market place offers.

The number for hardware that Spinning Wrench gives you is probably a bullseye. He's thorough. It will be a good estimate for any of the aircraft, maybe less for the LSA. Spread that cost out over a few years, and I'm concluding that outside of the quick build kit, having & flying Patrol will cost more than building it. Also check with Mark when its time to consider your Firewall Forward items. He passes along discounts to his kit builders.

My strong feeling is that when you buy the Quickbuild Bearhawk kit plus all the items that are not included, it is a very strong value, so much that I do not see any that matches it, although I've not done a thorough research. But we don't choose the Bearhawk designs because of the value.
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-08-2020, 01:51 PM.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree that the Bearhawk QB kit is and always has been outstanding value for money! Quality at relatively low prices, in the airplane world.

On a slightly different viewpoint, and likely I am saying the same thing as BCone, just ... differently.

I think we all chose things based on value. The overalll value of a Bearhawk is very apparent to me, when one factors in all the performance data, the investment, and the operational costs. To me, that’s true value. But that said, I’ve been looking, learning, flying and absorbing information from all of the options out there for a few years. There is no plane that works for everyone. Obviously for owners here this is their choice, and it’s not a “entry”, “budget”, or “low end” choice. But it is absolutely a value to the builder/owner in comparison to other options.

And what Mark said is true. I’ve learned upgrades happen fast and often the sales information lags behind. Call the factory and get the straight scoop for now. At some point the website will catch up.

pb
            Last edited by 500AGL; 09-08-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I would recommend going through this forum to familiarize yourself. I think the Bearhawk kit is very high quality. It is not, however, a Sportsman 2 week to taxi, Van's, or Carbon Cub kit. For those familiar with tube and fabric aircraft, it is an easy build. You are going to have to learn stuff. The only "real" construction manual is a combination of this forum, a couple of paid manuals, and a few basic instructions from the designer. You don't simply turn the page to item 34 and follow the instructions.

The kit, in its' current form, is not to the level of some others in simplicity and complete-ness. You don't take bolt A and put it in hole B. I was OK with that in the beginning, and am glad it is that way now, as I learned a LOT more, in a short amount of time.

I think the BH lineup is class-leading, in every class they compete, against other aircraft kits in terms of potential performance, safety, and structural integrity. But they are not class leading in terms of ease of build for a first time builder. I am also one of those.

I have no regrets. If you want a simple erector set build, The BH kits may not be it. But the finished product can be superior to anything else out there. And, Oh by the way, I learned a lot that I would not have if I built a Carbon Cub or Sportsman.

Money wise, you do pay Glasair and CC for their kit completeness. They don't give it away.

Comment

Ya, when I look at the home built form the FAA has and went through that, I got like a 30% from the factory and 70% by you according to the way the FAA scores. It's not a 49/51 split by any means. Which is good for people not made of money and bad for people that just want an airplane and have unlimited funds.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Someone could take those numbers ...30-70....and build a business around it. Call it the Bearhawk Finishing institute. You know, get your kit to point X then off to the institute for Fabric, Paint, wiring, Firewall forward, DAR inspection.

• zkelley2
                  zkelley2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya that or build up a 2wtt program. Honestly if you were going to do that, I think it'd be a lot cheaper to have it just come 49% from Mexico. Their labor rates vs ours and all.

• Mark Goldberg
                  Mark Goldberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My calculations with the FAA and DARs show our kits about 41%. But the method these "steps" are calculated does not make sense in some cases. I guess that is inevitable if the FAA has to come up with a form for all kinds of planes/kits. Mark

For a first time builder like me, the lack of a extremely detailed, step-by-step set of instructions can be seen as a plus. I'm forced to think (yes, this can be painful at times!) and ask questions. How does this work? Why did Bob design it this way? Why do Mark and the factory team build it this way? How have more experienced builders done it. I suspect all this leads to a much better understanding of the aircraft in the end as well as the development of a broader set of skills.

Comment

Everybody has a different idea of what "kit" means. A QB BH kit is a great head start. You still have to build the airplane. Nothing as good as a BH falls in your lap unless you buy a flyer.

Comment

I never read instructions anyway, until I screw something up and try to figure out how I was supposed to do it. Oh well, I am a guy.

If you know what you are doing, a BH kit is definitely a good deal. For those like me (sorry to insult anyone else), I don't even want to think about how much I paid UPS to ship stuff, and what percentage of things I bought ended up being the wrong part/size/type. Or I simply changed my mind and decided to do something different.

For me, I doubt the BH kit saved me much money over a more detailed kit. But I have learned a MASSIVE amount in the process, which I would not have done with a more "cookie cutter" type kit. My next airplane build will be much quicker, and cheaper.

Comment

Do the QB kits include the firewall-forward cowl components (upper, lower, and nose bowl)? I checked the BH website and they were not mentioned as being included (on the 4-Place Kit page, at least).

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                        Mark Goldberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes. They are included. The components you ask about. Mark

Seems like The nose bowl came in the kit. The cowl pieces are flat wraps and blanks to make the cowl were included in the kit as did material to make the boot cowl and instrument panel. Contact mark and obtain the brochure. The brochure that I had showed a picture of all of the parts laid out. You can get a good idea of what is contained in a kit by looking at the brochure.
                      Last edited by tailwind; 09-10-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X