Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear seat locking pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear seat locking pins

I’ve installed my rear seat and replaced the AN4 bolts with T ball-lock pins and wanted to share the idea for others who might want to do something similar.

In a rapid deceleration (accident) there is a lot of shearing force transferred to these pins, particularly the rear two. Even more so due to the seat belts being attached to the seat itself.

To ensure that the pins I used were of sufficient shear strength I contacted the supplier and obtained test results. They’re a 6mm pin, that sheared at 3600kg each. After speaking to Mark (who spoke to Bob) Bob wanted to ensure that the center pin hole was less than 1/8 inch (.125”) It measured at .099”, so around 20% narrower.

The result is having a neat installation that is very easy to remove. The same pins can be adapted for cargo tie-downs.

73BF5570-2AB3-4653-8CD6-994D1553E815.jpeg

Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

I have the same pins for mine. Picked them up at Oshkosh several years ago.
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

That looks great Nev, from where did you source them?
      Almost flying!

Comment

I got them from Comac But I’m sure you’ll find a supplier in the USA.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Thanks Nev!
          Almost flying!

Comment

I'm using the same pins for the rear seat belt inertia reels as I have a 4-point harness in every seat. I figure it would be nice to pull the reels when I pull the rear seat. I'm not really depending on the strength as they go through a 1/2" bushing to hold everything together, but the shear strength is provided by the bushing.

Comment

Working...
            X