Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of dumb wiring questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of dumb wiring questions.

My MGL V16 radio documentation only shows only 2 of the 3 terminals of the microphone terminals connected. I thought microphones required ships power (or some power) as well. It shows the "tip" of the 3 terminal, TRS connector not being connected. I have never wired a microphone before.

The other is I have a GRT EFIS with stereo audio, but the V16 only supports mono. I think I know the answer to this and that is just to connect both stereo channel signal wires to the single channel signal wire of the V16 audio.

Ships power is not required at the microphone jack. Wire it as shown in the manual. If you were using a single plug, like a helicopter plug, then all three terminals on the jack would be used.

When connecting the stereo GRT EFIS audio out to a mono intercom or audio panel you connect only one signal wire. It can be EITHER the right OR the left channel.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a definitive purpose for both channels for the way GRT does things? 3D audio?

On a mic jack the tip is typically used for PTT (push to talk). The center is mic signal and the ring is audio ground. You only need the ptt on the mic jack if you plan on using a plug in ppt switch, have the ptt switch in your headset or plan to use a handheld mic. I am sure there is a ptt input somewhere they they have you run to an external ptt switch that you will put on the corresponding stick.

update: after looking at the install manual if you wan to use the tip connection for ptt ( even if you never plan to use it). You can connect pin 14 to the pilot ptt switch and the tip of the pilot mic jack. Pin 16 would be the copilot ptt switch and mic jack. That is the standard aviation convention for mic/phone jack wiring
    Last edited by N3UW; 06-04-2021, 08:50 AM.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      I have stick mounted PTT's currently wired to pins 14 and 16. No need to connect the tips of the mic connector then?
Working...
X