Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights

Any preferred/recommended lights for the BH (specifically the Mod 5/B wing)? I'd prefer LED lights from an aviation company and experimental is better. AeroLEDS? Whelen? Other? Ease of installation and a package deal would be nice.
    Much appreciated
    Ryan

I just ordered Whelen Blaze. They are super compact and have aft white lights integrated.
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

A discussion of the installation location should be included here. The leading edge carries load, and as you go outboard I think the leading edge load decreases, so wing tip is better than the root. So keep that in mind. Installation on the cowl is done by some.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I most like a wingtip-mounted nav/strobe combo, and a forward facing white light in the nose bowl.

Comment

Up here in the NW when vis is low, wig wag feature makes a BIG difference.
          Gerry
          Patrol#30

Comment

• Ray Strickland
            Ray Strickland commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s right. I’ve had pilots in the pattern tell me that my wagging landing lights are very attention grabbing. I have them on from start-up to shut-down, as well as strobes.

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree! I sat next to the runway mid afternoon at OSH and watched the cessna mass arrival (+100 a/c). I could see no wingtip strobes on any aircraft. The most visible aircraft had forward facing lights at the outboard edges of the wing in the wig-wag mode. But any flasher system of a forward facing landing type light was highly visible.

Has anyone ever seen hi beam/low beam landing lights? I've seen them on larger aircraft but they were mechanically operated. Seems like it would be easy to do with LED'S. Landing and taxi in one light. Wig wag on high beams.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

Just finished shopping at Oshkosh. The Whelen Blaze are the best price and look really good, much cheaper than AeroLed.

Comment

Hi to all, I am putting two lights in the nose bowl that will be set for a wheeler landing, and one in each wingtip for three point, taxi attitude. The wing tip lights will be able to go in “ wig wag mode” taxi lights that far out will help you not to hit the wing tips against obstacles.

Comment

I am planning on installing something from the automotive off-road world for my landing lights. There are absolutely tons of options, LED, well designed and a bit cheaper than you’ll find from anyone marketing to the aviation community. I’ve spent big bucks on LED replacements for standard par36 landing lights for my certified planes… not interested in doing that anymore.

As for the aviation market stuff, whelen and aeroleds are both very good. The bearhawk has an issue with where to install them, seems like the easiest options are in the wingtips or cowling. Personally, I’m planning on making a fiberglass cuff that sits at the strut/wing junction and holds a compact led light. We will see what I actually come up with.
                Last edited by Viking; 07-31-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
                  Gerhard Rieger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That can actually work, I’d like to see it

I have Flyleds from Australia for landing and taxi lights. I choose the option that has 3 beams for landing and one adjustable beam for taxi (the 3 landing beams have the option for wig wag). I am just building my wings now and are putting these lights in the outer most bays. Testing the lights on the bench showed them to be very bright. Flyleds location lights on the wing tips are made for RV’s, all others have to make their own custom base and lense ( a major job ).
                Last edited by Ed Welfred; 07-31-2021, 03:31 PM.
                Patrol (modified)

Comment

Thanks Ed—so would you buy the FlyLEDS again based on the installation challenge w/the BH? Or is there another product you think might be easier?

Comment

I was impressed with the FlyLEDS products and did puchase their stand alone tail light.

The fabrication needed to install landing and taxi lights in the outer most nose section of the wing will be the same regardless which light product you choose. I believe some have started with a Duckworks kit that was made for RV's and modify the parts to fit. I took a pattern for the opening from a finished RV and fastened my light support assembly to the nose rib braces. The challenge was to get the landing lights 90 degrees to the thrust line and get the lights as close as possible to the outer plastic lense but not so close that the heat of the leds would affect the plastic. You also have to decide if you will be servicing the lights through the lense or back through the main spar.

I have decided not to use enclosed location lights in the wing tips as that would require making custom parts, that if damaged would be difficult to replace.

I wanted the landing and taxi lights enclosed in the wing so for me it was worth the time spent.

Ed
                    Patrol (modified)

Comment

• Ed Welfred
                      Ed Welfred commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ryan, I should note that I am plans building and was able to fabricate the light mounts with the skin off. If you are going with a quick build wing (which I highly recommend) it would be difficult to work with the skin riveted in place. Ed
                  Working...
                  X