Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine ground break in shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ground break in shroud

I started yesterday making a cooling shroud to break in a Bob 540 on the ground. I am about 50% done at about 5 hours of time. I decided to make an O-360 shroud, with a bolt on 0-540 extenstion, so it is more usable for o-360 engines. 0-360 powered EAB's are 10x more common. I think it will be 75% welded, 25% bolted together to make installation easier, as I am not sure how perfectly accurate different engines are. Pics to come.

I am just about exhausted of 1" square tube from the kit wing crates. They have been extremely useful.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I just ordered my engine from Bob and I like your plan of break in before flying.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Some ground break in is my plan also, so very interested with your design.

Comment

Probably at about 75% on the shroud, 5 welded together pieces that bolt together, and then some bolt on supports to stiffen the whole thing up, and add support for whatever sheetmetal I use for the shroud itself. The rear two cylinders have a bolt on side weldment that forms the side base of the 4 cylinder version of the shroud. The 4 cylinder front shroud former bolts to both of those, as does the rear, shorter former. The 6 cylinder extension has a taller front former, and two short side formers, all welded together and bolts to the the front of the base . COWL.jpgCOWL2.jpgCOWL3.jpg
        Last edited by svyolo; 10-15-2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

What are your plans for a prop club? I have done some limited research but I’m not sure about weight and size.
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Just the regular prop. I plan on being in a remote corner of the airport, with the tail tied to my 1 ton dually.

Comment

Working...
            X