Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handy Five Drawer Maintenance Cart on Sale at HF This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy Five Drawer Maintenance Cart on Sale at HF This Weekend

After 45 years watching professional maintainers do their job in the hanger, on the flight line, and in the field, I spent some time recently looking for the sort of small, 3 to 5 drawer maintenance carts I used to see parked next to where the work was located. Harbor Freight has been selling a 4 drawer cart for a few years, but their relatively new 5 drawer is available in a bunch of colors (way easier to ask someone to "...grab the left-handed twisty-thing widget from #4 drawer in the yellow cart..." than "...can you check the second maintenance cart's lower drawers for...") and was on sale last weekend and again this weekend for $199 (plus $30 for the collapsable side tray).
    For those folks that have to share shop space, but still want purpose-aligned tool collections, it's the perfect size and comes with precut, installed drawer liners, locking castors (I still chock...old habits), and most of the assembly done. I have a yellow 5 drawer for all the sheet metal stuff and an unassembled gray one for future general aircraft maintenance and FWF work once I move out of the basement guitar shop and invade the garage.

Setting up shop for a new branch of craft is always a process of progressive revelation, so I fully expect cart config to morph as I move through the wing build, but I think the HF five drawer cart is a decent set of bones at the right price.

image1.jpg
    image3.jpg
    image2.jpg
    Last edited by SpruceForest; 04-15-2022, 09:21 AM.

I have two and they work great!

Comment

I’m not a big HF fan at all, but when I got the hangar I’m building in a buddy gifted me this exact tool cart in black. I have all my sockets, socket wrenches, and open end wrenches in there and so far no complaints. Soft close drawers and pretty good security (if needed), overall a good addition to the shop. HF has come a long way in the past few years, I’ll give them that

Comment

Yeah...they've up'd their game on a bunch of stuff, although amazingly inconsistent on which lines got the quality infusion. Tool chests are pretty decent... near full extension drawers was a surprise... well-done powder coat (versus bad enamel over rusty steel which was the norm for HF 10 years back)...decent gas struts... and surprisingly good wheels. Not Snap-On, but also not a second mortgage required to buy shop gear, and nothing I'm going to come close to wearing out or breaking.

Comment

Working...
        X