Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model A to Model B modification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A to Model B modification?

Hello All,

I am new here and this is my first post so forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I am at risk of becoming a serial homebuilder (the condition is benign). I completed my Long Ez build last March and have flown it all around the country since. My wife and I love it for it's mission, fast cross country flying. I am looking for my next project and really like the Bearhawk 4-place as it contrasts and compliments the Long Ez's mission profile as well as construction techniques. I ordered a set of Model B plans last year and have reviewed them quite a bit since. With lead times for kits out nearly 2 years I have been keeping my eye open for a partial project etc. I have found one that I plan to go look at.

My question is this: The project I am reviewing is an original Bearhawk (not the B model). The fuselage is close to completed including the tail and the wings have most of their components fabricated but not yet assembled (includes spares, ribs, flaps, ailerons etc.) Is the difference between the original and B model worth passing on an original model project? Is it possible (within reason) to modify the original project to be a B model? And is it worth the effort or would it be better to accept the original as is?

I appreciate any feedback and advise here.

Tanner

IMO, the A model wing is a fantastic wing and there’s no reason to walk away from an airplane because of it. I certainly would do some of the fuselage changes; stinger tail spring, profiled tail. Changing the wing is a significant effort and would require all new wing parts. So, yes, look at the project and don’t hesitate to accept the A model wing.

However, buying someone else’s scratch built project is a big unknown. It’s possible that you won’t be happy with the workmanship even if you don’t notice things at first. Plus, it very well could take you two years to get the project from its current state to “quick build status.” I totally understand wanting to jump the line, just make your going in eyes wide open.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

As whee said, workmanship is everything. If your not experienced in welded steel tube and AL sheet metal construction, find someone who is. Inspect carefully. Far more important then the A/B issue.
      Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        IMO, the A model wing is a fantastic wing and there’s no reason to walk away from an airplane because of it. I certainly would do some of the fuselage changes; stinger tail spring, profiled tail. Changing the wing is a significant effort and would require all new wing parts. So, yes, look at the project and don’t hesitate to accept the A model wing.

However, buying someone else’s scratch built project is a big unknown. It’s possible that you won’t be happy with the workmanship even if you don’t notice things at first. Plus, it very well could take you two years to get the project from its current state to “quick build status.” I totally understand wanting to jump the line, just make your going in eyes wide open.
        My understanding was that changing the tail to the profile model B version changes the tail incidence by 1 degree?

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          That is correct, -4 to -3, can be accomplished with washers.

Originally posted by twing207 View Post

My understanding was that changing the tail to the profile model B version changes the tail incidence by 1 degree?
        As Rod said, you are correct and it’s easily accomplished by adjusting the spacer on the mount. You have to set the tail incidence when assembling so you just set it to -3. Also, it’s easy to adjust.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
        X