Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken propeller, temporary replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken propeller, temporary replacement

I sent my three bladed composite ACI propeller out for servicing a couple weeks ago. The shippers dropped it and it is damaged beyond repair. It is insured, as long as the insurance company pays off. I ordered a new MT propeller but it does not arrive until April at the soonest. I don't want my plane to sit for four months so I'm looking for a prop to use during that time. Does anyone know of a prop shop that might "rent" me a prop for that time? If needed I may just buy something in inventory that fits and sell once I receive my order. I have an IO-540 D4A5 engine.

Well that sucks fairly hard.
    I can tell you MacCauley wouldn't offer you a prop unless it's a certified match to the engine.

Mark might be able to supply a Hartzell, which could then easily be resold as 'almost new' to another Bearhawk forum member, at little cost to you and reduced price to them. Win-win. You'd just have to ensure the length of the hub was correct for your plane, Hartzell will make to order - it just takes some detailed measurements. This wouldn't be a problem for the subsequent owner, as Hartzell hub extensions are interchangeable - and they would probably be making a cowl to suit anyway, if they are new build.

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's hoping the Hartzell factory isn't backlogged to hell, like most things these days.

Sorry to hear this.

Just an idea, but could you run a time expired prop from a certified aircraft ? If so, there's possibly not much of a market for them, and being an amateur built category aircraft you may be able to run it, and purchase one for a comparatively cheap price. Maybe others can chime in?

I was thinking to purchase one to hold in stock here for the NZ fleet - just a "loaner" for when a prop is being overhauled or repaired.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
    X