Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Seaplane door inflight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Seaplane door inflight

Has anyone with seaplane style doors opened them inflight ? I've got seaplane doors on my Bearhawk and am very interested, but haven't tried opening them inflight yet.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Do you taxi with them open, a fast taxi might give you an indication of how they might behave, definitely approach with caution. I'm not sure what a large surface that close to the bottom of the wing would do to lift.

Comment

I routinely taxi with the left door open on a hot day. Both doors are supported by fore and aft gas struts. Even so, due to the size of the doors there is some "flex". I don't need to open them in flight - it's not why I built them, but I wouldn't mind knowing what the effect would be if it happened.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Don't know about the Bearhawk seaplane doors, but Cessnas sometimes have the them are opened in flight for skydivers. I have been in them for this and nothing noticeable regarding lift or controllability. Had to slow way down and pull on flaps to close the door in flight.

Comment

Originally posted by schu
          I have seaplane doors, but didn’t want to deal with testing to see if it would work so I built sliding windows like on a husky or cub. It added a bit of weight, but it’s worth it being able to fly with the windows open on a hot day.
          I watched your walkaround build video Schu, you've got some fantastic features on yours.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Great looking panel, how about a picture of the whole panel.

Comment

Just revisiting this topic again to see if anyone has flown with a Seaplane style door open inflight - either deliberately or otherwise. There's quite a few of us with the full seaplane style doors now, I love mine for the ease getting in and out. Also great to have open on a hot day. Like everything, there's pro's and con's.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Working...
              X