Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO Pneumatic squeezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO Pneumatic squeezer

Does anybody on the forum have a pneumatic rivet squeezer for sale before i buy new?

It was my experience that cap strips with 5 rivets can not use pneumatic squeezer @ 90 psi.

m.jpg
    Even the MAIN SQUEEZE - MODEL 22 can not do AD5 capstrip rivets.

I have a pneumatic squeezer but it was not as useful as I was hoping. Pneumatic squeezer can do ad4 but there are cheaper hand tool squeezers that can do ad4

With great effort I was able to get a yoke that could reach cap strips, but it was just to heavy to easily use
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7XFn3SHmH&e=7XxEiA3xe&listcat=&s id=

I had to use a 4x gun with a C-frame.
    This is how I did back riveting with a c frame

capstrip.jpg

If you do not have a rivet gun this method will work:
    The 1/2 inch drill rod has what is called a monkey tool to protect it from hammer damage
    monkey.jpg

Even ad4 rivets on the rear spar need every bit of the wood handles.

rear.jpg

I should have started with this kind of rivet squeezer for ad4

For AD5 a 3x gun with a bucking bar will work.
    Or, AD5 can be done with a 4x gun and a c-frame with back rivet set.
    Or, AD5 can be done with a sledge hammer and a c-frame.

nose.jpg
    Last edited by sjt; 01-27-2023, 07:24 PM.
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

There are squeezers and then there are SQUEEZERS. 20210612_173024.jpg

Comment

• sjt
        sjt commented
        Editing a comment
        What is the squeezer called and how much force can it do?

• geraldmorrissey
        geraldmorrissey commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought that squeezer at the Oshkosh flymart in 1998.

• geraldmorrissey
        geraldmorrissey commented
        Editing a comment
        It will set a -5 easily. Never tried anything bigger. It's a CP squeezer generally called a "deep throat" used mostly for skin riveting. Even configured as is, I had to turn the spar assembly end for end to get to the center rivets. The stand was an old disc sander pedestal I repurposed with a foot control.

I have a Chicago Pnuematics 351 C frame that is awesome for the AD5 s. They are a bit pricey though, Yardstore has rebuilt for $2000. There are some knock offs out there as well. Haven't heard of it but I'd guess the CP214 knock offs in a tandem version would do them as well??? $800 new at Aircraft Tool Supply, might be worth some research time.

Comment

If I was going to start again with no pneumatic tools, I would get a good used Chicago Pneumatic 4X rivet gun with a swivel pressure regulator. It will shoot every rivet in the whole airplane. Do not get a 2X or 3X. As shown by Chewy and Stan, if your clever, you will find innovative ways to get the job done to aircraft quality standards.

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, I'm flattered Gerry!
          +1 on the 4x. For -3 rivets I find the swivel regulator too sensitive so I leave it wide open and dial it down at the tank.

Gerald is correct. The number one tool for someone with a helper is a rivet gun. It can be done with one person but you have to have a lot of practice.

Everything else - other then a rivet gun - is something that allows for professional results with less skill.

The cleavland main squeeze uses the common c-yokes that are also used on cp-214 3000lb squeezers. It is very expensive.
        A less expensive hand squeezer with a 4 inch reach can be gotten from https://www.yardstore.com/ $170
        The yardstore.com is where you should get rivet sets also.

I and many others here have a pneumatic squeezer. Speaking for myself, I just want one of everything. (I would be to embarrassed to say how many rivet guns I have.)

I had to go to great effort to get it to be of any use on the main spar.
        I had to make my own yoke. The commercial yoke does not work for the main spar.

yoke4.jpgyoke1.jpgyoke3.jpgyoke2.jpg

The custom yoke shape is needed clear the spar flange.

Even if you use the squeezer thru a hole on the inside, by the time you attach the rivet sets you will not be able to get around a rivet that has yet to be squeezed.

The custom yoke is very heavy.
        yokes.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sjt; 01-28-2023, 03:14 PM.
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

FWIW, I bought a US Tool US114CC high-output squeezer and used it for pretty much all my riveting that I could reach with the yoke. I did buy what is called a longeron yoke for getting around lips (used it a LOT) and a deeper throat yoke. Between the three yokes it has done very well for me. I do have an alligator squeezer that I bought at the beginning, but I have never used it..

These silent C-Type compression riveters are excellent for many assembly operations - used in aircraft, automotive, truck,bus components, boats, metal furniture, toys, electronic chassis and applia...

20230128_135215.jpg20230128_135357.jpg

Comment

• sjt
            sjt commented
            Editing a comment
            Paul,

Did you find that a longeron yoke can reach around the main spar flange to get at AD5 capstrip rivets?

• alaskabearhawk
            alaskabearhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Good question, but unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. I bought the quick-build wings.

Well, this thread has gone sideways.

I was making a straw man argument for using cheaper tools.

Sure, everyone in this thread went and got a rivet squeezer.

sjt (stan ) got one
          marcusofcotton got one
          alaskabearhawk got two

And, I do not even know what that thing geraldmorrissey has is.

In my defense I have a disease that if I see another builder has something then I want one.
          After building for some time it seems that a rivet gun would be the go to tool.
          I admit that I could not have used a rivet gun in the beginning. I would like to think that I could do it now.

I also have to admit that I have my eye on a new and improved squeezer:
          h.jpg

For another $150 I could get a longeron yoke too.

Stan
          Austin Tx

Comment

p.s.

In regards to Augman40's original question:

No builder will ever let go of his pneumatic squeezer. I do not know if that means something.

What the aviation community really needs is half and quarter size rivets in all diameters.
            Last edited by sjt; 01-28-2023, 07:06 PM.
            Stan
            Austin Tx

Comment

For the squeezer: There is a ton of dimpling to do even on the quick-build kit. Granted, I went unnecessarily close on spacing the screws on access panels, but I’ve got well over 400 nutplates on the plane. That’s a lot of CS screws, and I pressed the rivets holding the nutplates with a squeezer. Then there are flush-rivets used in finishing various sheet metal parts of the plane, so dimpling is required to finish the kit. I don’t see how you can do this without a squeezer of some kind.

One pneumatic squeezer negative: I’ve twice poked a hole next to the intended spot with my pneumatic squeezer. It’s just so easy, so be careful. I suspect a hand squeezer would not be as prone to this risk and I doubt you could would crush your finger with it, a risk I find real and horrifying with my pneumatic unit.

Comment

Working...
              X