Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding weight to ailerons after covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding weight to ailerons after covering

Had my ailerons balanced with what I thought was the fabric weight figured in but as it turns out the fabric and paint were heavier than expected has anyone added weight to the leading edge after covering and if so what is a good method for doing so?

Luke have you already done the aileron balance tubes ?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Luke68
      Luke68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I poured lead into the balance tube and riveted it in place before i covered, at the time I balanced both ailerons with what I thought was going to be close to the weight of the fabric but apparently I overdid the paint or some other part of the covering process.
      I am working on the hinge pocket covers now and noticed the ailerons are pretty tail heavy.
      I’m thinking about riveting some lead sheet inside the hinge pockets but was looking for other ideas first

What is the recommended weight?
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
      What is the recommended weight?
      My 4B plans say "fill with lead shot and epoxy enough to balance". Mine were quite heavy, from memory around 5.2lbs each.
      Someone else might be able to chime in for a gross error check on my memory.

Incidentally, a good part of the pre-flight check is to inspect the rivets/screws that hold those tubes in place. If they come loose and the tube were to move sideways, then your day is going to go pear-shaped.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

Comment

There can be two tubes with lead in them for the counter weight. The long tube which is about 42 inches long (on the current production ailerons). Then there can be a shorter tube with lead. About 8-10 inches in the inboard nose ribs. Inboard of the hinge. If you have filled both these tubes with lead and still requires more - it would be surprising. Mark

Comment

• Luke68
          Luke68 commented
          Editing a comment
          I only have the one long tube on mine and that might be my issue, I was certain I had it balanced for the fabric weight but that was a few years ago so who knows

I only have the one long tube on mine and that might be my issue, I was certain I had it balanced for the fabric weight but that was a few years ago so who knows
        Go to the Mitre10 Bearhawk department Luke. They sell the tubes
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Working...
        X