Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alodine/Alumiprep shelf life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alodine/Alumiprep shelf life

I was a member of this forum a long time ago, and as happens with a lot of builders, life, age, failing health and eyesight got in the way. I was considering selling my project (plans 496) but after getting back on this forum, seems I'm fired up again! Anyway, thought I would try to at least complete the wings I started nearly 20 years ago. Question for you experienced builders....I purchased 5 gals alumiprep and 5 gals of alodine 20 years ago. Never used it and never opened it until last summer I opened one of each up to see if it would still do the job. It seemed to me like it was working, but I don't have experience to know. The shelf life came and went a long time ago, but seems like such a waste if it works and is acceptable. Thoughts? Downsides? I don't have a problem buying some new, but.... have most of the wing components ready for prep. Thanks in advance!

Welcome back Cary! I remember you from the old Yahoo group days...loooong ago.

As far as the alodine goes, it really depends on how it was stored. If there is any question, just start over and get new (fresh) stuff. That way you won't be wondering and it's a good way to restart your project...fresh!

Comment

• woodtic
      woodtic commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm surprised anyone remembers me it's been so long. It always amazes me how time just seems to slip away. Thanks for the response. You confirmed what I knew but didn't want to admit.....I was just 'hoping'.

I tried a couple of test pieces today with the alumaprep and alodine. When I tried it last summer, I didn't clean the pieces properly, and it just kind of worked. I thoroughly cleaned these today and I do believe this is what they should look like? Who wolud have thought after all this time it would still work..
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

They will lose their potency after time, but will still function as you can see. It may just require a bit more time to do the same effect.

Just be careful with leaving it in the alodine for too long. It almost looks like a bit of that was starting on the plate in the picture (RH).

​​​​​​​Haven't worked with 20 year old, chemicals but I have worked with 13 year old. This information is from that experience, and my 15 years of aircraft maintenance. Good luck with your build!

Comment

Welcome back Woodtic! Another slooooooooow builder here. Those pictures look like your chemicals are working fine, I'd agree perhaps a bit less soak time is needed. I've got 15 gallon polyethylene barrels with the end cut off in a dark room (light is said to hasten decline of alodine), "lids" are 6 mil poly sheeting with two bungee cords around with ends staggered. About 15 years old and still work fine.

Comment

• woodtic
          woodtic commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the comment! I'll try a bit less time on the alodine......used three minutes each prep and alodine.
      Working...
      X