Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mystery cylinder---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mystery cylinder---

mystery cylinder---
    I have an early o-320 made in 1957 . No banana plates. I believe the engine was overhauled about 10 years ago. (no logs came with it-) For some reason- it was stored ever since then with no oil at all in it. So when I got it I put in 11 quarts of phillips 66 anticorrosive oil.

I got a borescope about a months ago. want to look at the cam and see how it looks. So I had planned to pull a cylinder to do that. In the mean time- I drained and saved my oil.
    I looked into each cylinder through the top plug holes. 3 of the cylinders look bright and shiny and I can see the hone marks near the combustion chamber. All the cylinders are painted grey and have a red/orange square patch on the fins- which I take to be a chromed bore marking. The pistons are stamped "std" on top.
    So all that would lead me to believe that the cylinders were bored and chromed.

So when I look at the remaining cylinder --- the walls look different. The walls of this one have a pebbly look- all most like a sandblasted texture---- not shiny like the other 3. I can also see a bit of brown discoloration in patches. Would/could chrome have an odd texture like this ? could it be a different plating process than the other 3 ? The outsides of the cylinders look identical-- as far as the paint and markings.

I am wondering if the brown discoloration could be some rust from the rings -- and its just laying in/on the chrome surface.

If I am taking off a jug- it will be this one -- so I can see it better inside. If there is rust on the cyl. wall
    from one of the rings---- what is safe to use to clean away that rust and verify it is not growing on the bore ......

Hot soap and water and a toothbrush followed by a hot blow dry ? any recommended chemicals that would be chrome safe ?

i cant see how/why this cylinder would have a pebbly texture. If it didn't need chroming--- why the red paint--- and if it didn't need chroming it shouldn't have a pebble texture if it had been running right ?

i took pics with the scope -- but I gotta figure out how to transfer them out.

i can see into the valve seats-- the edges of the valves and seats look polished and not ever run. The tops of the pistons still have inked numbers and also show never run.

Any ideas ? (before i pull the cylinder)

Tim

nothing ? no
    one has any idea ?

Comment

ECI has a cylinder coating called CermiNil, a nickel/silica carbide coating. I don't know what it looks like. They sold their new cylinders with it and you could also have used cylinders coated. I don't know if it survived the Continental buy out. They might have the orange paint patch because like chromed cylinders, they require cast iron rings. Might contact Continental for information.

Comment

Yes - could be nickel- or maybe fresh chrome the others don’t have . It’s common to have one that doesn’t match. Sounds like you have new overhaul . I wouldn’t disassemble- just check compression after it’s Been flown

Comment

whatever was done to it- I think was done about 10 years ago.
          I plan to slide 1 cylinder off to scope the cam lobes and maybe lube them with Par-el-ketone to keep the cam good until later. The pickling oil should preserve the rest.

Comment

Working...
          X