Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking ahead to engines -----

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of the triangle of "good", "cheap", and "fast". Choose any two. Maybe substitute "fast" for "easy" in this case. If you want to do it cheap and still end up with a good plane, it is going to take extra legwork and time/patience. I would recommend reading the four Tony Bingelis books, especially the Firewall Forward and On Engines books. He does a great job explaining how the right engine really makes or breaks the end result. In the end, shoehorning the wrong engine won't be cheap, but rather quite costly.

Comment

Just my two cent opinion. ..... While kicking the topic around on the forum might be fun, I think you only have two practical options (assuming you want to finish someday and don't have unlimited funds). 1) Take 500AGL's sound advice and go with the O-360. 2) Use an O-320 and carefully track every ounce that goes on the airframe in order to keep it as light as possible (this will entail some hard choices). Any other engine option is going to include the risk of unexpected and potentially expensive consequences. (possible need for modifications to the motor mount, intake, exhaust, cowl, etc. etc.)

Comment

Working...
      X