Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod end bearing lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod end bearing lubrication

Do rod ends require lubrication and if so what are people using ?
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Nev I am pretty sure rod end bearings are sealed and do not need to be lubricated. If the seal is gone then the rod end should probably be replace.
    Roger
    QB Companion C-9
    N51RK

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, my understanding too for most of them. I've got a couple of smaller ones installed on the trim tab push rods that are making some noise.

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      If a little lube and attention was given to them and you look real hard at them you might see a smile.

Originally posted by rkennell View Post
    Nev I am pretty sure rod end bearings are sealed and do not need to be lubricated. If the seal is gone then the rod end should probably be replace.
    This was my initial assumption also, but... as assumptions often do.... it turned out I was wrong.

In fact, rod end bearings do last a LOT longer with periodic lubrication. If you choose not to lube them, the "ball" end inside the bearing housing will eventually corrode and start to damage the housing or could even bind up. There are number of these bearings installed on the plane, and considering some of them may be rivetted into place (e.g. the wing control surfaces for some earlier models), or some of them might be hard to replace for other reasons, preventive maintenance is probably a superior approach to run to failure / replacement.

I am using a very light weight grease, worked into the bearing surface by capillary action, through working the part back and forward.​

Comment

Working...
    X