Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel flow transducer location on IO390

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel flow transducer location on IO390

Just to field a question out of interest

My fuel flow transducer is located in the wrong place,(between the electric boost pump and the mechanical on the engine) it specifically says in the AP manual that it should not be there as it causes bubbles in the fuel and erratic running and also weird readings when the boost pump is on, so I am relocating it.

The ideal place is between the fuel metering unit and the flow divider,

Now the question?

Is it....

1. better to route the fuel line and transducer over the cylinders , where it gets blasted with nice cool air in flight BUT..gets well boiled on shutdown from heat rising from the cylinders
    OR
    2. better route the fuel line and transducer UNDER the cylinders , where it gets blasted with very hot air in flight and radiant heat off the exhaust tubes BUT..gets cooler air on shutdown from air rising up around the cylinders.

Obviously both routes will be well insulated.
    I do suffer from vapourisation at this heat and altitude quite easily when doing circuits or having to hold a long time

I can get around that by just idling fast at 1300-1400 rpm but the main reason is to get an accurate fuel flow reading and consistently. I dont like instruments that are eratic.
    Better working or not working at all.

My solution to the same problem was to suspend the unit below the engine off the engine mount tubing to run the lines from pump to transducer to servo. Works much better than the original faulty installation.
    Almost flying!

Comment

For another data point, I had initially installed mine in a similar faulty location, and found the same issues. I then changed it to the engine mount position the same as AKKen07 above, with pleasing results.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

It looks like you have horizontal induction. I have vertical combined with a Vetterman Cross Over Exhaust. The induction and the exhuast choices effect how this gets mounted. The way Imounted it wond help you. But, The folks who have a lot of data on this mounting are the guys on Vansairforce.com

-Here is one example of a thread.
        https://vansairforce.net/threads/fuel-flow-transducer-mounting-exp-119.200517/​

-You'll see TS Flightlines respond. That is Tom Swearingen. He's in the EAB business of making hoses and may have a product or two specifically for this installation. Expect some kind of a mounting fixture. If not he will still will have ideas that pursues industry best practices. His business is https://www.aircraftspecialty.com/contact.html
        Tom's email is TSFLIGHTLINES@GMAIL.COM

-Here is one photo that might help. LOTS of ideas out there...this is one.
        Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 7.01.00 AM.png
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X