Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corvair Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys in case you are interested here is a really in depth article on Corviar crank issues. Its a long article but it covers the controversy very well. http://www.flycorvair.com/crankissues.html

Comment

Hi Guys, Here is an article comparing the corvair engine to the O200, its a commonly asked question when thinking of using a Corvair instead of an O200
      Builders, Here is an older story of testing from 2004.  It is a good example of how our testing has been an integral part of the work we have done. Although the machinery is simple, the comparitive…

Comment

Corvair ignition timing
        Builders, One of the things that sets our work apart from other engine options is the amount of direct interaction we have with builders. A salesman can spend all day talking to a guy about buying …

Comment

Can't say I have a dog in this hunt, but something doesn't make sense in the "O-200" test.

A given amount of fuel/air mixture processed per second is going to release a similar amount of "horsepower. Research "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" for some fundamentals.

So if one looks at two engines turning at the same RPM but differing in displacement by 15%, the smaller displacement engine is going to make roughly 15% less horsepower because it is "processing" 15% less fuel/air mixture per revolution.. Of course the "fixed RPM and load" efficiency with which the two engines process the fuel/air mixture may differ(compression,combustion chamber design cam profile, ignition,exhaust etc.) and is going to have some impact so if the ratio doesn't hold there should be one or more of these "attributes" that can be pointed to.

After reading the article, I have to wonder how much the "pusher prop" dropped the manifold pressure given the airbox was on backwards relative to the airflow. I would also wonder if there was an impact on exhaust back pressure given the exhaust would have been flowing "up stream" against the prop airflow.

So while I don't doubt a Corvair engine would work fine as an 0-200 replacement(if the Corvair is turned at a higher RPM), I am not convinced this test clearly indicates an 0-200 is a 75 hp engine.
          Last edited by BTAZ; 11-04-2017, 09:48 PM. Reason: Sp.

Comment

Here is another good article on carb ice and the consequences of it
            Carb Ice By Grace Ellen   Grace Ellen is a freelance writer and pilot. She was a newspaper journalist for 10 years but left the profession upon finally conceding that it was morally bankrupt. A thr…

Comment

Hi Guys,
              Here's a link to a super nice builders log of a great classic (Canadian) wooden airplane. He has also done a great job in detailing his Corvair Engine build. No doubt, things to learn as you read through it. Of real interest to me was this picture on his weight details.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a picture of a Corvair hanging from a scale, ready to fly, not including engine mount, and a few other items. Now I'd love to see the same with an C-85, 0-200 and whatever folks hang out there. You may have to copy and past the link included above since the "link" for some reason only goes to the main page.

Cheers, Willy T.
              Last edited by bcbearhawkLSA; 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I found this at one time regarding an 0-200: http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/fokkerd7/weigh.html

"The scales indicated exactly 200 lbs with no oil or exhaust. This does however include a lightweight starter but no alternator. The Aeronca exhaust stacks weigh less than 3 lbs and four quarts of oil about 8 lbs."

Comment

• bcbearhawkLSA
                  bcbearhawkLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here is the problem as I see it with the enclosed photo above vs. the Corvair weight photo. No wiring harness, no baffling, as you said no oil nor exhaust, and most likely no intake spider, tubes, rubber clamps, carb and airbox plus hoses, ..so I do go with the assessment that if we do an apples to apples with core and peel and all :-)) ..they should pretty close to each other. Cheers, Willy T.

• BTAZ
                  BTAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is just an additional data point and I merely quoted text from the website. I came across it when I was contemplating putting an 0-320 in my LSA.

However, it does indicate that a "similarly equipped" 0-200 will be equivalent to or lower in weight and have about 15% more displacement then the Corvair.

Here are some pictures of my engine build
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 11 photos.

Comment

• bcbearhawkLSA
                  bcbearhawkLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice looking engine!

• Tallow98
                  Tallow98 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  looks like mine!

I dig it! I've always liked the look of a Corvair.
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Hi Guys, ever wonder how tough the Corvair engine is? Here is a good article. https://flycorvair.net/2016/10/17/ho...rvair-engines/

Comment

I used to drive a Corvair. Reason Nader called them "unsafe at any speed" was because "any speed" was always too fast for the road. It cornered so well that the rear tires would roll over so far that air leaked out between bead and rim. I sold it for $1K with a new paint job.

They were really cheap to fix back then. I suspect it shared a lot of engine internals with Chevy pickup-trucks.

I used to buy my parts from Clark's Corvair Parts http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main

Comment

The valve train, bearings and several other parts are the same ones the chevy 350 uses, so your local NAPA store can supply many parts at chevy 350 prices. One of the many advantages of using the Corvair.

Comment

I was at a finishing school hosted by SPA/FlyCorvair this past weekend. I ran my 3 liter, broke it in and set the distributor for flight. Ordered my engine mount and purchased the exhaust pipes. William Wynn is in the process of designing a different nose bowl for Stol airplanes that will reduce heating on steep climb out

Comment

I have attempted to post a link to a write up on my engine. https://flycorvair.net/2018/05/21/30...-jimmy-mathis/
                          Builders Friday was the first day of our Flycorvair/SPA Panther joint open house - workshop. The first engine to hit to test stand was Jimmy Mathis's 3,000 cc Corvair which will power his Bearhawk LSA. . Jimmy and his lovely wife drove in from Texas, about 900 miles for the event, this was the furthest…

Comment

looks like the link works. Now I need to get started on the plane. I ended up starting the engine first due to an accident at work. I tore my ACL, had surgery and found myself bored crazy at home. I couldn't stand on my leg very long, but could set at a work bench. I had my boys set the core engine on the bench and the rest is as they say "history"

Comment

Working...
                            X