Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caribbean LSA #248

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribbean LSA #248

Received my plans from Bob on Saturday along with the latest issue of EAA sport aviation and some 4130. What a day! Let’s make some big pieces of metal into little pieces and eventually into a plane!

Building a light box for tracing and the rest of the jig tables this week.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Good luck with your project.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Good luck Bacon! I have LSA plans #208. How come we don't see a couple hundred LSA projects underway?
      Frank Forney
      Englewood CO
      https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
      EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• Bacon
        Bacon commented
        Editing a comment
        Right?! When I received my plans and saw the number, I assumed there's at least 50 flying. Turns out, not even close.
        How far along are you in your build?

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon I just finished making a wing template in MDF from the mylar drawing #4. Where in the Caribbean are you located, in case I'm ever in the neighborhood?

• Bacon
        Bacon commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank, Just seeing this. I'm located in Luquillo, Puerto Rico.

Funny statement Bacon made. To my knowledge there are about 4 kit built and the same for scratch built. Having said that I think my scratch built was about number two or three. A lot of people want more power thus they build the Patrol but my build had more to do with age. My LSA has a standard 0-200 with a weight of 900 with heaters and back seat brakes plus extended baggage area. The aircraft flies quite well full of fuel and two people. She has a climb rate near one thousand ft per min. cruises at 2300rpm 105mph.with 8x6 tires.I now have 188hrs my grandson has 88hrs at the controls at age 13yrs. The LSA is a very stable plane, just make sure you are building the Riblet wing, built from the mylar sheet NOT the booklet. Good Luck. Stinger PS you can view my first flight on you tube: scratch built Bearhawk LSA.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        Stinger you are an inspiration. I've watched your first flight several times. Great demonstration of the no-bounce oleo struts. For sure I will take your cautions concerning the booklet to heart. And certainly open to any constructive criticism you may care to offer!

• JimParker256
        JimParker256 commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. Stinger, your "two people" must be a lot skinnier than my "two people" if you can still legally carry 2 of them after adding 180 pounds of fuel to your 900 lb empty weight, all while remaining at the 1320 lb gross weight limit for Light Sport. I'm afraid I'd be over that limit with just me and full fuel!

Good thing Bob designed the LSA for a 1500-lb gross weight, even though that takes it out of eligibility for Sport Pilot operation. Such a cool plane, and yours is a really nice-looking example. Love your color scheme!

Originally posted by stinger View Post
      Funny statement Bacon made. To my knowledge there are about 4 kit built and the same for scratch built. Having said that I think my scratch built was about number two or three. A lot of people want more power thus they build the Patrol but my build had more to do with age. My LSA has a standard 0-200 with a weight of 900 with heaters and back seat brakes plus extended baggage area. The aircraft flies quite well full of fuel and two people. She has a climb rate near one thousand ft per min. cruises at 2300rpm 105mph.with 8x6 tires.I now have 188hrs my grandson has 88hrs at the controls at age 13yrs. The LSA is a very stable plane, just make sure you are building the Riblet wing, built from the mylar sheet NOT the booklet. Good Luck. Stinger PS you can view my first flight on you tube: scratch built Bearhawk LSA.
      Just watched your 1st flight.... great video

Comment

While waiting on sheets of 2024, I figured I’d invest a couple hundred in my lungs. Building a fume extractor and installed a little air cleaner. The extractor will have a counter weighted arm that hangs from the center of the shop. It’ll have a light/outlet and compressed air on it as well as a switch leg for the vac. I’m more likely to use it if it doubles or triples in function and is convenient. This all comes as a request from the Mrs. I guess she wants me around another 40-50 years to enjoy my plane.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Bacon, I just noticed your SN and that it is adjacent to mine. I'm LSA #247. Unfortunately my schedule isn't opening up to begin building in earnest for another year, but I'm making a few parts here and there to support Johnb's project schedule. Today I'm off to the shop to make 2 shipsets of control horns for the aileron bellcranks.

Comment

• Bacon
            Bacon commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s true what they say, do something everyday even if it’s just looking at the plans.

Just received a pile of 4130 and aluminum sheet. Already making airplane noises around the shop. Progress!
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Inspiration, This little boy my grandson now has over 100hrs at the controls of our Bearhawk LSA . Having just turned 14yrs completed his solo glider rating. Stinger IMG_2256.JPG

Comment

• Bacon
              Bacon commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s amazing Stinger! I can’t wait to take my family up in this one. Hopefully one of my nephews or nieces takes up flying like your grandson.

• NCLSA183
              NCLSA183 commented
              Editing a comment
              Grandkids are one of my main reasons for building the LSA. That and lots of fields and pastures to land.

So, I rolled out the airfoil sheet in hopes of starting my form blocks today. I ran in to a potential problem. It’s hard to see in the pictures but the outline has some odd inconsistencies. The underside line has a significant wobble and the top side has a bit of a flat spot near the apex. Before going ahead and smoothing/blending these transitions, I wanted to see what others have done with this. I know how printers can distort images like this, Used to happen all the time when I did screen printing, but that was a shirt and this, well you know...
            Or is this how the airfoil is designed?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bacon; 03-11-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Looks the same as mine. The airfoil has a definite shape to it. Gotta have faith.

If it's a copy from the printer, place the original on top for comparison. I recommend using a copy and preserving the original Mylar drawing. Have your print shop scan it and give you a pdf as well as a print. In my case, the copy from the printer wasn't 100% so I ended up using the pdf and printing several 8.5x11 pages on my home inkjet printer. Carefully spliced these pages together to make an exact copy.

Have the print shop scan all your pages. Very handy to have the plans on the computer.

Big decision: cut just to the outside of the line, split the line, or cut just to the inside of the line?
              Frank Forney
              Englewood CO
              https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
              EAA Chapter 301

Comment

Split the curve. I ordered a second mylar from Bob for a disposible shop copy I could cut up.
                Gerry
                Patrol #30
                Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 03-13-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I found coordinates for the LSA’s 30-613.5 airfoil, I’m going to check them with when I get back to my shop.

Comment

• NCLSA183
                    NCLSA183 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This might be of little use to you at this point but I'll share it anyway, just in case. Hope your build is going well.
                    Mitch

http://rf-tech.us/lsa/Riblett G30-6135_QCAD.pdf

Sorry about the link above. I need to remove the spaces before replying by comment. This link should work until I get the filenames corrected.

http://rf-tech.us/lsa/Riblett G30-6135_QCAD.pdf

Comment

Thank you! I didn’t proceed with building the forms, partly because of the discrepancies I found when plotting the airfoil and partly because work got hectic. I’m considering buying stamped ribs from Mark to save a little time.

Comment

• NCLSA183
                      NCLSA183 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I understand. Good luck with your project. Those darn jobs that we do to make a living always seem to get in the way of our fun.
                      Mitch

• Frank
                      Frank commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you buy stamped ribs you will save a LOT of time. And you won't be worrying about the airfoil anymore. 😀

• NCLSA183
                      NCLSA183 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or that pesky little line on Dwg 4.
                  Working...
                  X