Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TAIL WIRES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAIL WIRES

I'm checking to see if there might be 4 others interested in buying LSA tail wires at this time so we can get a group price? Below is the quote I received from Steen Aero, very expensive plus 12 - 14 weeks lead time! ( and of course I'm ready for them now!, assumed they were part of the kit)
    Also, maybe there are other options besides Steen? Or if someone has plans maybe I can machine them out? Anyway, all feed back is appreciated. I certainly don't want to pay $990 for a set of tail wires if it can be avoided!
    Thank you,
    Your request for quote:

1. (2 ea) AN673AC-049000 10-32 UNF 49.000" RL $173.34 $346.68
    2. (2 ea) AN673AC-040000 10-32 UNF 40.000" RL $166.34 $332.68

All will be supplied with the terminals below as assemblies -

3. (4 ea) AN665-21L $38.83 $155.32
    4. (4 ea) AN665-21R $38.83 $155.32

Total Materials FOB Palm Bay, FL - $990.00

If round wires are preferred for the bottom (40.00") we will keep your cost the same (our cost is higher on the round wires).

If there were 4 other people to go in together with you for a group purchase (5 sets), the total cost would be $777.34 per set.

Delivery 12-14 weeks.

Hi Al. If you can find another LSA builder or two I will purchase 2 or 3 sets to have for future LSA QB kit customers. To help you buy at a better price. FYI - these prices are probably with the expensive clevis ends (AN665's) also from Brunton's of Scotland in stainless. You should have some Bob Barrows home made ones made out of tubing with your kit. So you can save some $$ there. Mark

Comment

Al,

I'll go for a set of streamlined wires. Will not need the terminals as I plan to make the ends per Mark's comment above. Dropping the terminals should significantly reduce the quote.

Thanks,
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Stephen B. Murphey
      Bearhawk LSA
      Building #L-089

Comment

Thanks Mark and Stephen!

This will certainly help. Lets wait a few days before ordering to see if anyone else jumps in on the deal. I too will pass on the AN665's and use the ones provided or make my own out of stainless.

Thanks again,

al

Comment

Count me in for a set...
          Wayne Massey - Central Florida
          BH733
          LSA23
          http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

I'll jump in too.... Let me know logistical and payment arrangements. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Are the lengths given "pin length"(pin to pin with the ends installed halfway) or wire length?

I am looking at adapting standard wires and found a useful table of tail wire lengths at Univair in their Resource section. The standard round(more resistant to nicks so preferred for the lower) Cub wire(U41031-002) is 41.5" long while a Champ/Citabria upper wire(U2-1745-4, also available streamlined) is 48.56" long. Both are 10-32 threaded(nominal 3/16 wire size)

Might not work for a quick build but may be close enough to be adaptable for scratch building using "Bob terminals".

I will have the horizontal stab on my project in three weeks or so and will be able to take a closer look then.

Comment

Great response, thanks to all!

Below is Cheryl's contact info. Please contact her direct with your order info and she will place the order as soon as she has 5 or more sets to order. It sounds to me like you can mix and match streamline and round if desired. Round seems to be recommended for the bottom wires if doing a lot of off airport landings, etc.
                Thanks again!
                Cheryl Everette
                Steen Aero Lab, LLC

321-725-4160
                Ceverette@steenaero.com

Comment

• Wayne Massey
                  Wayne Massey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Before I call are we all ordering just the flying wires and not the clevis ends (AN665's)? Did you get a quote for just the wires?

I'm going to go with streamline on top and round on the bottom.

• interstate al
                  interstate al commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wayne, sorry I missed your question. By now you know she is good either with or without the ends. I will use Bob's or make my own out of SS.

Wayne - the LSA QB kit comes with Bob's handmade ends instead of AN665's. Made from tubing. Mark

Comment

Al,

My order is in. Streamlined on top, round on bottom, No terminals - $466.70 + Shipping. A 50% deposit is expected to place the order.

Cheryl did a great job answer all of my questions.

All orders will be shipped directly to the builders from Steen Aero Labs. The measurements are end to end of the wire. Typical wires are threaded 1 7/8 on each end, but they are making the LSA wires with an extra 1/2 inch of threaded length on each end. This is to allow for some variations in construction.

The order is expected to be complete during the first part or Nov. or Dec. depending on when the order gets placed and the sequence in production.

Al, thanks for arranging the bulk buy. Cheryl said she would give you and Mark G. a heads up when she plans to cut off the purchase period and activate the orders.

Stephen B. Murphey
                  Bearhawk LSA
                  Building #L-089

Comment

Okay just placed my order. Just tail wires no ends. Streamline top, round bottom. Thanks for putting this together Al...
                    Wayne Massey - Central Florida
                    BH733
                    LSA23
                    http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

Thanks guys! I will confirm my Streamline top and Round bottom with Cheryl tomorrow. I have been on the fence as to round or not on the bottom but will be falling suit with the majority of the builders by going round.
                      And yes, Cheryl is Great to work with, she knows her product well!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
                        Hi Al. If you can find another LSA builder or two I will purchase 2 or 3 sets to have for future LSA QB kit customers. To help you buy at a better price. FYI - these prices are probably with the expensive clevis ends (AN665's) also from Brunton's of Scotland in stainless. You should have some Bob Barrows home made ones made out of tubing with your kit. So you can save some $$ there. Mark
                        Mark,
                        Would these wires work for the standard Patrols as well, or only for the LSA version?
                        Jim Parker
                        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Jim, according to Cheryl at Steen Aero, the Patrol and 4 place are the same and the LSA is unique. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yep, got the same answer from Mark Goldberg. LSA is different from the other two...
                            Jim Parker
                            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
                            X