Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA on Floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA on Floats

I live on a lake that freezes in the winter and am interested in building a plane that can be fitted with floats and skis. Would a Bearhawk LSA be a suitable platform? If so, what size engine would be required? Can the fuselage be fitted with two doors? I welcome any ideas, suggestions, and advice.

The kit factory has made one LSA fuselage set up for floats. And I know Bob flew his LSA on skis when they had a good snow in Virginia.

The LSA was designed for the 4 cylinder Continentals. I have an O200A in mine. Mark

Comment

Mark, has anyone mounted an o-320 on the LSA frame? Are you aware if anyone has mounted floats on the LSA? Is this a realistic objective? I have read where the Patrol was put on floats, but understand that it likely has an o-360 engine. I would prefer a smaller and lighter airframe for this aging pilot, but am mindful that the larger Patrol frame may work better. I defer to those who are more experienced and knowledgeable for guidance. Thank you.

Comment

The O320 is much heavier than the 4 cylinder Continentals. I would think it is not usable on an LSA because of its weight. No problem mounting floats. There are a lot of floats out there for planes in this weight range, Mark

Comment

Mark, could the LSA work with an O-240? At my altitude, the 240 is a 100 HP engine.

Comment

Mark, what about Titan Engine X320, which is slightly lighter than the O-240. I'm just wondering if an engine slightly heavier than the O-200 with more HP works better for floats. Of course, if the guy who built the LSA on floats can weigh in, I would love to learn how his plane performs with whatever engine he used. It seems to be a delicate balance between weight and HP with regard to a float plane, and I have heard that sometimes the lighter engine with less HP actually performs better.

Comment

The builder with the special order LSA for float flying has not finished. So no data to share with you now.

As far as engines - my O200A from Bob weighed 199 lbs. With starter and basic electrical system. If you come in close to that with engine weight - no issues as far as CG.

However - the Lycoming is a couple inches WIDER than the Continentals. So if you used a Lycoming you would likely need to make some "bumps" on the cowling sides to accommodate the wider engine. Mark

Comment

Working...
              X