Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA on Floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA on Floats

I live on a lake that freezes in the winter and am interested in building a plane that can be fitted with floats and skis. Would a Bearhawk LSA be a suitable platform? If so, what size engine would be required? Can the fuselage be fitted with two doors? I welcome any ideas, suggestions, and advice.

The kit factory has made one LSA fuselage set up for floats. And I know Bob flew his LSA on skis when they had a good snow in Virginia.

The LSA was designed for the 4 cylinder Continentals. I have an O200A in mine. Mark

Comment

Mark, has anyone mounted an o-320 on the LSA frame? Are you aware if anyone has mounted floats on the LSA? Is this a realistic objective? I have read where the Patrol was put on floats, but understand that it likely has an o-360 engine. I would prefer a smaller and lighter airframe for this aging pilot, but am mindful that the larger Patrol frame may work better. I defer to those who are more experienced and knowledgeable for guidance. Thank you.

Comment

The O320 is much heavier than the 4 cylinder Continentals. I would think it is not usable on an LSA because of its weight. No problem mounting floats. There are a lot of floats out there for planes in this weight range, Mark

Comment

Mark, could the LSA work with an O-240? At my altitude, the 240 is a 100 HP engine.

Comment

Mark, what about Titan Engine X320, which is slightly lighter than the O-240. I'm just wondering if an engine slightly heavier than the O-200 with more HP works better for floats. Of course, if the guy who built the LSA on floats can weigh in, I would love to learn how his plane performs with whatever engine he used. It seems to be a delicate balance between weight and HP with regard to a float plane, and I have heard that sometimes the lighter engine with less HP actually performs better.

Comment

The builder with the special order LSA for float flying has not finished. So no data to share with you now.

As far as engines - my O200A from Bob weighed 199 lbs. With starter and basic electrical system. If you come in close to that with engine weight - no issues as far as CG.

However - the Lycoming is a couple inches WIDER than the Continentals. So if you used a Lycoming you would likely need to make some "bumps" on the cowling sides to accommodate the wider engine. Mark

Comment

Another option might be the fellow in Canada who is putting the ULpower 350 engine in an LSA. Lighter than a Continental and more HP. I spoke with him a couple weeks ago and he is developing a FWF setup for the UL. The specs look better than the O200 and the ones (UL) that I know of in other airplanes seem reliable so far. I'm considering this engine for an LSA build because of my altitude, especially if there is a FWF kit developed rather than having to experiment and make my own. Maybe he will chime in here.

Comment

Good day guys,
                  Yes, my LSA is being fitted with the UL350IS. looks like an easy 25lbs lighter than the 0-200, single lever control, with altitude compensating fuel and ignition. Wings are complete, engine is mounted and all the controls are in. Rather than installing adapters, we built a new mount which extends the motor out aprox 2.5inches. The engine comes complete with starter, lternator, fuel injection system, baffles and exhaust. Mine is going on Amphib floats but will not be starting the float install until fall or even winter. I haven't decided on float provider yet as there is a couple in development that should be game changers in regards to weight. Ive attached a couple pics.

For any Canadian Builders, you will see a pic of the cable pulley redirector were installing. When I built My patrol, this was one thing the inspector would not let go. That rudder cable is not allowed to deflect that much through a grommet, must be a pulley. On my patrol, I ended up welding in pulley brackets. This little bracket slides into the existing grommet tube and will be fastened with a small pin or bolt

4C560468-CA9A-45DD-B186-FEB0CBF5A1ED.jpegFC4EF676-05E9-478F-A590-1635B297B82F.jpegE1142DFF-9C44-4947-A609-A87680621196.jpeg6D2D1CF1-2008-4B27-86E6-0A3BA22BFFB4.jpeg1F8650D6-1E08-45E5-83FC-179AC716DD4E.jpegAA65875B-C21B-41E7-979B-0ED77A31086B.jpeg48F7EC9F-E64E-4D46-A240-51DA7361FEA7.jpeg4C560468-CA9A-45DD-B186-FEB0CBF5A1ED.jpeg
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks beautiful. Please keep us posted on your progress. Many are interested in LSA on floats. Good luck with your build.

Comment

There is a 75 hp J3 in my hangar with float fittings on it. I know they get off the water, at least at low altitude. The Bearhawk LSA will be a powerhouse compared to that even with an 0200. This one should be awesome! I also look very forward to hearing how it flies.

Comment

I am also very interested in this set up. Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                        X