Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA Vertical Fin offset for Corvair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA Vertical Fin offset for Corvair

I noticed in the plans on drawing 16 that the vertical fin is offset to the left by 3/4" For kit builders planning on a Corvair engine that turns the opposition direction, does this mean the fuselage kit has to be special ordered in order to have the offset in the opposite direction?

We could do that for you at the kit factory on a special order basis. Or if you weld you could modify a "normal" fuselage. Mark

Comment

Thanks for your response Mark. Are you confirming that Bob's intent is that the fuselage be built with offset to the right for Corvair installations rather than neutral? I'm not sure what corrections he included with the motor mount design. Also, the bracing in the fuselage below the attach point of the front of the fin is offset as well, see attached picture. If the bracing was built with offset in the opposite direction, are there any clearances to be concerned about with the push-pull tube and other things going on back there? Regarding the attach point of the fin, I think I'd be interested in designing a way to make that a bolt together attachment using some spacers/shims so that the offset could be done either direction.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• davzLSA
        davzLSA commented
        Editing a comment
        There is plenty of room between the 2 support tubes for the push pull tube. Its a steep angel between the elevator horn and the idler arm on the bottom of the fuse. Dave I was wondering did you buy a Corvair engine mount from William Wynne?

• David Swartzendruber
        David Swartzendruber commented
        Editing a comment
        davzLSA, I am intending to use a motor mount from William Wynne but haven't gotten to that point yet. I just started reviewing the plans and familiarizing myself with how it is built and haven't started building yet. I'm not sure yet where I'll choose to land on the spectrum between scratch built and quick build kit.

Im using a Corvair on my LSA and I just welded the vertical stab in straight and will use a fixed trim tab on the rudder.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
        David Swartzendruber commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you make the bracing underneath symmetrical (neutral) or offset the bracing as shown in the plans?
    Working...
    X