Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel valve bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pics of the way I did the fuel valve/gascolator installation. I mounted the bracket with the slot facing aft so the valve can be easily removed. You will also notice the spacers used on the gascolator to make things fit. Also it is very helpful in my opinion to split the floorboards into several pieces to facilitate installation and removal. These pics are from my latest Model 5 build so some details might be somewhat different.

fuel valve 1.jpg fuel valve 4.jpg fuel valve 3.jpg fuel valve 2.jpg

Comment

A later version of the fuel valve on the Model 5 for comparison. Much simpler, I think...could be done this way on the LSA or all the other models with some slight modifications.

later version 1.jpg later version 3.jpg later version 2.jpg

Comment

• BrokenStraw
        BrokenStraw commented
        Editing a comment
        This is the way my QB Companion Kit #11 came.
        Last edited by BrokenStraw; 02-12-2024, 05:53 AM.

Today I made the spacer for mounting my fuel valve. I'm not sure that my earlier posts made my intentions clear so I thought I'd post some pictures now that I have something to show. I am going to split the floor board in this area down the middle. To remove the fuel valve and gascolator, I will need to first remove the floor board. Next, I will remove the knob from the fuel valve and then the three outer screws and the three inner screws from the mounting flange. This will allow the flange to lift off and out of the way. The two screws into the gascolator will come out next along with the four screws holding the triangular mounting piece. The triangular mounting piece along with the spacer will then lift off together. There will be three screws going up through the triangular mounting piece into the spacer that won't ever need to be removed. I made the spacer 5/8" thick. I'm also planning to make a new triangular mounting piece that just has a hole for the fuel valve instead of a U shaped slot.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by David Swartzendruber; 02-10-2024, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• DBeaulieu
        DBeaulieu commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice workmanship!

I too used the kit triangle mounting bracket after widening the slot out about 1/4”, and mounted it backwards like Arborite, and made 1/2” spacers for the gascolator mount. It will require taking out the floorboards to remove the valve for repairs but it’s doable. Also My Wicks hardware package has 5/16” fuel lines using AN5 fittings and the valve comes with AN6 fittings. I found these fittings on Amazon to reduce down to AN5 C83E2847-3B96-42ED-9829-26FA084A7F30.jpg 3ECFD1D1-8E03-4369-8B24-F5FA6CB83003.jpg 6F302F89-779F-480B-A65A-73BA9347D189.jpg

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
        David Swartzendruber commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the handle on your valve better than mine. Yours says FUEL instead of the SPRL advertising that mine has.
        2-12-2024 Update: I contacted SPRL directly via email (info@newtonsprl.co.uk) and asked about purchasing the other style selector handle/lever. They are sending one to me for $20 postage included.
        Last edited by David Swartzendruber; 02-12-2024, 07:46 PM.

• Sierra Skydog
        Sierra Skydog commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t like these fittings after all…they are very thin and cheap feeling compared to AN fittings, and also would be too long when installed and interfered with the fuselage tubing. I’m going with the fittings Arborite has and thanks for posting the info!

I had the same issue with AN5 lines and fittings down to the valve. I found these adaptor fittings for the Newton valve (that’s what these are) at ACSpruce. The part that screws into the valve is not normal tapered pipe. It has an O ring seal. I used the 05-04454 adaptor to allow a regular AN5 fitting to be used. IMG_0500.png

Comment

• Sierra Skydog
        Sierra Skydog commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks likea better way to go than my two fitting approach. I didn’t see those before when I was searching.

Everyone has great ideas on how to service the valve and gascolator, but i think the tricky part might be accessing the nuts where the fuel lines connect. Are you making access from the bottom with a panel or are you planning on reaching under the triangular piece? I made pretty big cutouts to hopefully help in the process (and save a few ounces).

Comment

• Sierra Skydog
        Sierra Skydog commented
        Editing a comment
        I have enough clearance and enough removable screws to slip out the big triangle for access, also have a small bottom panel and the whole bottom if necessary.

• David Swartzendruber
        Editing a comment
        In my installation, all the parts over the valve and gascolator will be easily removable and that will leave the valve and gascolator completely exposed. At that point, accessing the fuel line connections should be no problem. Any cutouts I have will be simply for saving weight.

interesting. in my case, i have everything mounted to the big triangle. four bolts and the whole assembly comes out - brackets, fuel selector, gascolator. then i can disassemble on the bench as needed. that’s why i need to access the three line nuts first. i think i can reach them all from the sides or through the cutouts. if not, i’ll make an access panel on the belly.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
        Editing a comment
        I think the access options for your installation and what I'm planning are very similar. The main difference is that I haven't figured out yet what my cutouts will look like so I don't know what kind of access to the fuel lines I would have before removing the mounting bracket. Like me, you would also have the option of removing the mounting bracket first and then having full access to the valve and gascolator. To do that, you would have to remove the mounting flange on the fuel valve the same as I would have to do.

• arborite
        arborite commented
        Editing a comment
        My assembly will come out without removing anything but the four bolts. once the assembly is off the plane, i remove the flange screws from the selector and the two bolts holding the gascolator. then those two parts slide off the bracket assy. my slot is facing forward so it all comes out the front. sorry for all the verbal description. a sketch would be better but i’m lazy today…

• David Swartzendruber
        Editing a comment
        I think I understand already. My assembly will also come out without removing anything but the four bolts assuming I have access to disconnect the fuel lines. What I won't be able to do with mine is slide the fuel valve out of the bracket by just removing the selector flange screws and gascolator screws. My choice to use a mounting spacer under the selector flange in place of a slotted part precludes that option and forces me to remove the selector flange from the selector before I can separate the selector from my mounting bracket.

I really like that spacer you made. very nice work.

Comment

Here is an update to my fuel valve mount. I made a new piece out of .025 material to replace the .125 thick piece from the kit. The old piece was 12oz and the new piece is 2.2oz. There is a 1/2" lip bent down at the front and the back to stiffen it as well as the two flared holes. I still need to add the screws and spacers to mount the gascolator.
        ValveMount1.jpg

Comment

I decided not to split my floorboard after all. After trimming some corners that were catching and learning the technique, the floorboard isn't that hard to remove as one piece.
          ValveMount2.jpg

Comment

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            "after learning the technique..." I know what you mean. I even wrote instructions on mine.
        Working...
        X