Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removable rear stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removable rear stick

Pulling this out of the LSA incident thread. I am planning to make my rear stick removable as well, but haven’t found tubing of the right size to make an internal or external sleeve coupling. I currently carry around a small piece of the tube cut off from the front stick when i go to the metals store in hopes of finding a perfect fit. no luck so far.

Anyone willing to share your solution for rear stick removal? My Piper J5 has an internal sleeve welded to the lower section and a through bolt to hold the stick on. I could buy thicker tubing and turn it down, but maybe someone has a better idea?

My plan is to buy thicker tubing and turn it down as you suggested.

Comment

If your stick is made from 7/8 x .035 (it what Bob used on the Patrol...but don't assume) There is not a off the shelf 4130 tube that will fit like it should. My Patrol stick has an internal diameter of .805". 13/16" is .812 so it has a .007 too big.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I cut the steel stick off, leaving about 4 inches overlap with a piece of aluminum tube as my removable stick. Nice to able to remove the stick when not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by arborite View Post
          Pulling this out of the LSA incident thread. I am planning to make my rear stick removable as well, but haven’t found tubing of the right size to make an internal or external sleeve coupling. I currently carry around a small piece of the tube cut off from the front stick when i go to the metals store in hopes of finding a perfect fit. no luck so far.

Anyone willing to share your solution for rear stick removal? My Piper J5 has an internal sleeve welded to the lower section and a through bolt to hold the stick on. I could buy thicker tubing and turn it down, but maybe someone has a better idea?
          Thinking about an external coupler of 1" tube with 0.065 wall leaves a 0.870 ID to fit over the 7/8" control stick. Eitehr way your gonna have to remove about 0.005". Don't know if it's easier to take away material on the inside of the coupler or outside of the stick. A solid plug, turned to fit would likely make a nice tight coupling as well?

Comment

Originally posted by jim.mclaughlin924 View Post
            I cut the steel stick off, leaving about 4 inches overlap with a piece of aluminum tube as my removable stick. Nice to able to remove the stick when not needed.
            I did the exact same thing
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X