Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State of the the Patrol Fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of the the Patrol Fleet

I searched the FAA's data base and found twelve Bearhawk Patrols. I have plans number 303 and am scratch building...still making form blocks. Does anyone keep track of how many get completed? I think the FAA gives a builder wide latitude in naming his aircraft type, so there may be more Patrol's registered here in the U.S. than the "twelve" in the database. Plus, there are those registered outside the U.S.

I was able to determine the engine type in ten of the twelve. The fleet is using almost exclusively an O-360 or IO-360. One has an O-320, and one O-375.

Here is the list I found
    Names and registration numbers deleted by the author on 5/10/2015.

As I look over this information, I wonder what kind of props, equipment and empty weights each one has. Gaining knowledge is my goal to help all of us build a better Patrol, and increase the completetion rate.

If you have information on these aircraft, pass it along on this thread. I find especially useful "Industry Best Practices" that are based on scientific data.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-10-2015, 08:28 PM. Reason: Poor judgment...
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I like your strategy and think it would be great to have a listing of all of the completed planes, like what Kevin started on his Bearhawkin' site. One concern I've had about doing something similar is like with the builder map, there is a balance between making information like that available and honoring the privacy preferences of the owners. The builder map has always required an opt-in for that purpose. Folks who don't take action to ask for a listing are not listed. One solution here would be to reach out to the owners to ask if they'd like to be listed. It would be really cool if the listing of completed airplanes was somehow integrated into the map. Likewise it would be cool to be able to filter the map by type, or to show only completed planes. There are all kinds of capabilities with the map that we aren't taking advantage of, only because I have prioritized a few other projects for now, and nobody else has taken an interest in working on the map.

There are two minor problems with using the FAA database. First, it shows registered airplanes, which aren't necessarily the same as completed airplanes. Second, it doesn't show completions from outside of the US. It is still a good starting point though.

Comment

I talked to Steve Thompson about his Patrol. He is fine with sharing the info.
      Empty Weight: 1306 lbs.
      CG: 11.771 in.
      Engine: O-360 Built by Bob and estimated at 190 HP
      Prop: 76x56 Sensenich that was repitched to 58

Steve used .025 skins and the capstrip layup from the Bearhawk 4 place plans when he built his patrol.

He is considering building another patrol without the last 2 ribs (clipped wing), a beefed up spar and a 210 HP motor. He feels this combo would be the ultimate fun/aerobatic Patrol.

Comment

I edited the thread to respect the privacy concerns expressed here.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

N406AK recently upgraded to 35" bushwheels
          Empty weight now 1090 lbs
          Engine is a Barrows 0-360
          Prop is a 84" Catto pitched at 46"

My first impressions with 35's vs my old 29's is that I can land with a steeper angle of attack at the expense of over the nose visibility. Shock absorption is significantly improved. I can't lift the tail as easily on takeoff. Cruise is slowed by around 3 mph.
          Totson.jpg

Comment

AK...

I would like to know more about the major decisions you made on your aircraft and your satisfaction with those decisions. Electrical, Engine, Prop, Exhaust, Interior, and Avionics.

Your Empty weight is 1090...give me an idea of what measures you took to keep it down. It looks to me like your Cato Prop is a fixed Pitch, Talk to us about that. You did not paint the Al, and I see there is not fabric on your gear legs. Did you install a tyipical electrical system?

The FAA registry shows you have an O-360. What factors led you to choose a Carb over FI?

Lastly, are you happy with your CG location? Did you have to add ballast at all? Is it a no brainer to stay inside the envelop, or do you find it limits what you can carry?

Brooks
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

This is my first post on this forum. I am seriously considering a Patrol for my next airplane. I fly a Savage Cub right now.

I been creeping on this site for a while. Glad have it out in the open.

AKPatrol, could you post some cruise speeds that you have experienced with your different tire/prop setups? I am curious to know about your overall thoughts about the Catto on the patrol. Takeoff/Landing numbers? By the way, badass bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by crzyivan13; 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Ivan. If that is really your name you might be the 2nd Ivan building a Patrol. I have been traveling and not monitoring the forum. But if you are interested in building from our kit - I am very happy to answer questions about what the guys flying Patrols are seeing. If you are interested in building from our kit, my cell is 512/626-7886. I return to USA tomorrow afternoon. Mark Goldberg. Bearhawk Aircraft

Originally posted by AKpatrol View Post
              N406AK recently upgraded to 35" bushwheels
              Empty weight now 1090 lbs
              Engine is a Barrows 0-360
              Prop is a 84" Catto pitched at 46"

My first impressions with 35's vs my old 29's is that I can land with a steeper angle of attack at the expense of over the nose visibility. Shock absorption is significantly improved. I can't lift the tail as easily on takeoff. Cruise is slowed by around 3 mph.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n16877[/ATTACH]
              Also,

Please feel free to post some more pics of your Patrol.

Thanks!

Comment

AKpatrol - I second that, would love to see any more pics you have!
                Mark
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

So, we know of 12 registered Patrols in the U.S. (Searched "bearhawk" here - http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...f_inquiry.aspx)

I think there are more than 12. Let's find them.

Additionally, I would like to know how many Patrol Builders are actively using this site. So, if you are currently building a Patrol, please check in by replying to this post, telling us how far along you are, and wether it's a scratch or kit build. Can we define "Currently Building" as having accomplished work on your patrol in the past 12 months, and you have not quit since previously working on it?
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I have a question about the Patrol Seaplane Mod. Do the doors open like the conventional Patrol doors (Forward) two piece ? Or do they swing up like many other seaplane doors, as one piece? Has anyone completed a Seaplane Patrol? Looks like AKpatrol's may be a seaplane.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I for one am a Patrol scratch builder, working on wings and hoping to get to the spars and priming this summer.
                      Mark
                      Scratch building Patrol #275
                      Hood River, OR

Comment

I am a Patrol Scratch Builder and just completed my Form Blocks. Next. Step is Nesting things onto the sheet Aluminum.

Brooks Cone
                        Patrol #303
                        Brooks Cone
                        Southeast Michigan
                        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I am scratch building Patrol wings. Have the left wing mostly finished. All the ribs and spars are also done for right wing along with the ribs and spars for aileron and flaps. The project is mostly on hold as of this month as we prepare to move from Denver to the Seattle area. I plan to eventually put it on floats in Seattle. Hope to start back up later this summer on in the fall, I also plan to buy the fuselage already welded.
                          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

I'm scratch building. Tail is done. Finish the flaps and ailerons and I'll be through with the wings. Hoo. Hoo. Then it'll be time to start the fuselage. About 2.5 years so far, this one is being slow.
                            David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

Working...
                            X