Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing jig ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to stir up an old topic, but regarding the spar offset - where the wing root bolt hole of the main spar is about 1/2" higher above the chord line than that of the rear spar - how did you guys resolve this at the fuselage? My best guess is that the main and rear spar attach fittings on the fuselage are also offset. Even though they appear to be aligned with the 32" T10 tube that separates them on Patrol plans pg 25, the slightest bit of rotation (about 0.4 degrees each) would "produce" this offset. Otherwise the spars would have to be drilled at an angle and that really rubs me the wrong way.

Please let me know if this sounds like what you guys did.

I do plan to frame the wings square and true, with the spars located per the mylar. But it makes me start to think like my 6-year-old son: "why"? I've read through many threads on here but no where can I find any thoughts on why there's an offset in the first place. What's the design intent of having attach points that are not coaxial, instead of a true hinge? I'm not arguing it, but knowing the design intent is always good knowledge.

Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

N3UV - please get in touch when you have a little time. I want to talk with you about your rubber mat rib forming. Thanks. Mark 512/626-7886

Comment

Working...
      X