Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overhead flaps lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRLPatrol
    Thanks Zzz, I noticed in your video on the rollout of your first landing the flap lever fell back down as you slowed down. Did you just not get it latched or what? That seems to tell me that there are no return springs in the system. I like the idea of no springs adding to the aerodynamic forces you are pulling against when you pull flaps. With no cables you should need no springs.

Doug
    I think that the weight of the flaps themselves makes them want to drop down when there's no airspeed. It happened when taxiing on the knobby grass. It's due to the retention device, that semi-circular ratchet, and the dog popping out of it when the flaps jiggle. If you make that piece solid you would have no issues.

They popped from 2nd notch to 1st on me once on takeoff and I about crapped my pants while simultaneously pushing forward on the stick. I think CC has since improved the part and prob makes it available for retrofit. They are good like that.

Comment

Considering the size of the Patrol's flaps (Huge, which is good!), I'm wondering about the forces required for deployment. The floor mounted lever is fairly long, providing plenty leverage. Could an overhead handle be long enough to provide similar mechanical advantage? I've only crow-hopped a Patrol and haven't had to deploy flaps in flight, but I'm expecting a bit of resistance, to drop those boards into the wind.
      Anyone flying a Patrol care to estimate the flap handle pull?

Bill

Comment

It’s been a few years since anyone posted in this topic. Has anyone built a Patrol with an overhead flap handle? Besides a direct linkage (eliminating cables and springs), another benefit (at least in Cubs) is the elimination of the somewhat limited left aileron with floor mounted flap handle deployed while handling crosswinds. This isn’t as much of an issue with the wider body options but was definitely an issue in my standard Super Cub, especially with winter boots and heavy clothing.

Comment

Did anyone ever finish this concept to practice? I am close to buying a kit and the 4 Place I flew I did not care for the flap handle placement nor the force to deploy the flaps. An overhead solution seems like it might be a possible solution.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            It could be the plane's flaps you flew were not set up as well as possible. My flap handle is not too hard to pull if you get the speed down. And I am a 145 lb weakling. There are a number of issues putting a flap lever above your head. Most not good things. Mark

Nothing is ever perfect, but the longer I fly an aircraft the idiosyncrasies develop into a ships character to the point to where they end up making my smile. But, Check out this thread.
          https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...-poition/page2
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-03-2020, 08:11 PM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
            It could be the plane's flaps you flew were not set up as well as possible. My flap handle is not too hard to pull if you get the speed down. And I am a 145 lb weakling. There are a number of issues putting a flap lever above your head. Most not good things. Mark
            It not just the force but the ergonomics of reaching that far down and losing your line of sight outside the aircraft. Some of us don’t have as long of arms as Bob.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              If you look at what some builders have done in the link Brooks provided - you will see there are mods that could help achieve what you want. Mark
          Working...
          X