Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cap strips for Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap strips for Patrol

On the rear spar the plans call for 3/4" x 1/16" 2024-t3 aluminum. I was not able to locate this from Wicks, spruce or Air Parts. I asked Wicks about shearing it but they said they could not shear a 3/4" strip. I talked to Bob and asked if I could use 2 stacked strips of 0.032 and he said I could. Where did the other plans builders find the material for the rear spar?
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Things must have changed at Wicks, that's where I got mine. (been awhile back...) Only problem was they only sell aluminum by the foot, so I had to buy a 1 ft X 12 ft piece. They sheared the cap strips and shipped the remaining piece. Wonder why they now can't shear 3/4" pieces? Don't know..

Collin Campbell Patrol N180PB
    Bolivar, MO

Comment

John, I cut all my cap strips from 4x12 sheets and split it with another builder 100s of miles away.
      Dave P154
      David Snyder
      P154

Comment

I ended up buying a 4' x 12' sheet that I'm planning to rip the cap strips out of. I'll have a lot of extra.
        Phil Schaefer
        Patrol #073
        Working on Spars

Comment

Phil, maybe we can work something out!
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Wicks sheared my cap strips too. I'd call again and see if you can talk to someone else. As said above you would have to purchase a 1' wide by 12' long piece. They even cut my .063 x 1/2" strips for the rib shims.

I also had them shear my .032 spar webs at the same time.

I found their customer service to be not that great it took me 2 months of emails and calling before my order was finally placed.
            Last edited by X'N; 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM.
            Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

I called Aircraft Spruce East(they're only about 10 miles from me) and they don't have a shear that large, so no joy there. Anything that long would have to be sheared by AS West and then motor freight all the way across the US. I was thinking of buying a 4x12 sheet and having it sheared into strips by a local metal fab shop. Is there a simple way to cut 3/4 inch strips from a 12' sheet of .063? Long straight edge and an Olfa knife maybe? At $270 a sheet, I'd hate to screw much up...
              Patrol #107
              LSA #005

Comment

You could try a table saw but I would think you would want to sandwich it between some plywood. The best thing would be to get it waterjet cut then you could have them put pilot holes in it too.
                Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

WHen I talked to Bob he says that he cuts all of his cap strips out of 12' sheet material with a circular saw, good straight edge and an aluminum cutting blade. He says it works very well.
                  John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

On my BearHawk 4 plc I rough cut with a circular saw and then finished to size with a router , cap strips , spar webs etc.
                  This method required a fair amount of straightening and twist removal on the cap strips, but was successfull.
                  Looking to cut down on build time for the Patrol, I took the material to the local heating - sheet metal shop and had it sheared to size.
                  Note ! The cap strips I had them sheared .015" wider and I finished them with a few strokes of a file.
                  The charge was one hour laybor $ 85.00 for every thing ,all cap strips , all spar webs , etc. Basically every thing for the wings needing straight cuts but the skins.
                  Time saved was worth the drive !

Comment

we manufactured cap strips of aluminum angle (D16), cut with a circular saw. Cutting corners should be slow, then smooth the strip obtained.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Andrew Serdyukov
                    Scratch built

Comment

ALUMINUM ANGLE 6061T6 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...alumangle3.php
                      ALUMINUM ANGLE 2024T3 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../alumangle.php
                      Last edited by siberia_bearhawk; 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM.
                      Andrew Serdyukov
                      Scratch built

Comment

• Dennis2730
                        Dennis2730 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Andrew, really appreciated your post!

I asked Bob about 6061 because I had a line on some cheap and he said absolutely not, 2024 was something like 2/3 stronger in the spar cap application.

Doug
                      Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

• Sir Newton
                        Sir Newton commented
                        Editing a comment
                        100% correct

I did the same as Andrew. Bought 1/16 2023 angle from aircraft spruce, splited in halves and polished. Worked fine and was super cheap (like 50 bucks)

Comment

• Dennis2730
                        Dennis2730 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What method did you use to split and polish the angle?

Just a regular bandsaw to split it. After polished with sand discs and scotch brite disc.

Comment

Working...
                      X