Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuselage cross station H-J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuselage cross station H-J

At cross section H-J plan page 19 it calls out to move the cross braces 3/4 of an inch left, to me if you were standing at the back of the plane this would be right or how are you supposed to look at it?

Thanks,

Scott
    Patrol plans 412

The left hand side of the airplane is on your left as you stand behind the airplane looking forward.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Standing behind the plane looking at station H-J do you move the cross braces 3/4 inch to the right or left? Looks to me like the picture is right and the wording is wrong, unless I’m not looking at it right.

Thanks
      Scott
      Patrol plans 412

Comment

Move the cross braces 3/4" to left viewed from standing behind the airplane looking fwd. Sht 19 STA H-J view is standing in front of the airplane looking aft.
        Gerry
        Patrol #30
        Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 04-26-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth: Using "port" and "starboard" when talking about this kind of stuff would make life a lot easier... They don't move around as you do, but remain constant. Same as "forward" and "aft"... (So that's at least 4 things the Navy got right... Spoken as a former Army guy.)
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Russellmn
            Russellmn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, but I can never remember which is Port and which is Starboard. lol

• marcusofcotton
            marcusofcotton commented
            Editing a comment
            The way I finally remembered which is which is that port and left have the same number of letters and end in t.

Thanks, Getting close to finishing all the vertical tubing.

Comment

Would appreciate any photo's of your progress. Any insite into bending the longerons also appreciated.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

I'm resurrecting this string because I think there may be a lingering question about basic aircraft geometry, in particular, left and right, port and starboard. Most on this board will already know all of this and will find nothing new here, but some first time builders might. First, while the Navy's standard port/starboard nomenclature works aboard ship, in the aircraft design office it's left and right. See the definition of left in message #2. All aircraft have a left and right. I don't know how it us done in some foreign countries but in the US, left does not vary. No matter how you look at the airplane, left will always be left. There may be exceptions but I have not seen any.
              Some other interesting aspects of the left hand side of the aircraft;
              Only the left hand side of the aircraft is actually designed. Check your Bearhawk wing assembly drawing. The right side is designed by general notes, flag notes and view specific notations. -3, -4 OPP or -3, -4 OPP EXCEPT FOR ......
              Somtimes the opposite hand detail part is so different it requires it's own set of views.
              The BL 0.000(Buttock Line 0) reference plane basically splits the airplane in 2 vertically right down the middle of the fuselage. Paralell BL planes from BL 0 going outboard on the left side are dimentioned with negative values, BL-34.456. Right hand positive, BL 10.946.
              Details, subassemblies, assemblies and installations have odd numbers on the left side, -3, -101, even numbers on the right.
              A way to remember this is "Airline Captains are a ODD bunch". Please, no mail, I didn't make it up.
              It's funny how symmetrical airplanes look on the outside and how asymmetric they can be on the inside. Much of the asymmetry is systems driven.
              For what its worth.
              Gerry
              Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
              X