Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke system

No, it's not what you think. Over on the Biplane forum the subject of being seen around uncontrolled airports in the small biplanes, Pitts, Miniplanes etc came up. In the best of times these planes are tough to see around the traffic pattern. I fly out of a busy uncontrolled airport and have had a few "moments" with traffic entering the pattern from all sorts of directions and altitudes. One biplane pilot mentioned that a 3 second blip of smoke makes his little airplane immediately identifiable. Maybe a lightweight smoke system holding a guart of oil is not such a crazy idea.
    Just in case. Is smoke just for Biplanes?
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 04-02-2021, 06:39 PM.

I’M BUILDING a Patrol kit and will put smoke in it. I own a Stearman and use smoke all the time. Entering patterns crossing runways while flying seeing another a/c close by and it is more visible than wing flash
    plus smoke is cool !
    Attached Files

Comment

Carl it’s not the Stearman or it’s smoke that’s cool. It’s you. You’re cool. 😎🤠😁. Well okay, they are a little cool too. 😂

Comment

I think the occasional smoke puff is great for recognition, especially in congested areas like where I live... under the Charlotte Bravo. I like to be seen!
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I put a smoke system on my Pitts when I built it in 1981. Wasn't an airshow pilot and only used it occasionally. I have no argument against having a smoke system if you want one but L.E.D. lighting has improved so much that I will put lights all over my airplane.

Comment

When I was learning to fly in Wetumpka Alabama which is near Maxwell AFB in Montgomery C130's used to get in the pattern for Wetumpka on their way to Maxwell. I wish my C150 had smoke so they could have seen me. They did not talk on the CTAF so it was all you watching out for them and not getting wrapped around their wing.

Comment

Working...
            X