Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwd Spar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwd Spar

Finished the RT hand fwd spar today. WooHoo. If it's like everything else the opposite hand should go twice as fast.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Or in my case, half as bad!
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• rv8bldr
      rv8bldr commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! I hear ya, my friend :-)

Pictures of the web splice/strut attach area. A flurry of parts but pretty satisfying when it all comes together. Looks strong, inspires confidence in the integrity of the structure.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Last spar clecoed up ready for fastening. Finally. I'm limping over the finish line, hot today, no air. Every January I swear I'll get air conditioning. Hard to get motivated when it's 33 and raining. "It's only hot for 3 weeks a year, spend the 10 grand on something else". Not this year, more like 3 months.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

Those are some good looking spars Gerald. Where I live though 33 degrees and cold is normal for winter. I take it you don't live in North America?

Comment

Hi everyone. I think i need help. I have almost finished drilling spars and I have realized that the rivet hole that I have drilled would be too close to 4130 strats attach plate (see pics). Do you think I could enlarge the plate (weld an extra piece or simply make a bigger one, like shown on the picture with red marking) at the very end of it so I could use the hole I have drilled instead of one marked with the cross? or it won't work and I should start it from scratch?
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            I would not even think twice about making it a new wing strut attachment fitting to capture that rivet hole.

I will be interested in what other would say. I would simply make a new 4130 straps for that spar that had less taper at the end and could pickup that hole you drilled. That would seem to be the easiest thing to do and in my EE mind (I am not an ME) would seem like the weight and time would be the only downside.
          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Suggest calling Bob.

My suggestion would change the one rivet out for a "Double flush". I.E. set up for a countersunk rivet as normal but also countersink for the tail side. When the rivet is set the tail will fill the CS. This is detailed elsewhere in the plans.

Comment

I can see merit to all options above, with reshaping the attach fitting to capture the existing hole taking a slight lead. That gives you solid cap strip material around the attach fitting bolt. I agree to call Bob. He will be glad to hear of your progress anyway.
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

I agree that fabricating a new piece that captures the existing hole is probably the least work.
                Scott Ahrens
                Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Just posted in my other post but yeah-that worked. See the results

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkeyf View Post
                    Just posted in my other post but yeah-that worked. See the results
                    Nice work. Well done
                    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
                    X