Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bow in Aileron Spars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow in Aileron Spars

Hi All -

I've got an issue that I'd like some thoughts on from more experienced builders. I recently finished all the lightening holes in my aileron spars. After I finished I noticed there is a bow lengthwise. At the worst part (in the center of each spar) it's just under 1/4" bowed up if laying flat on the table, flanges up. I imagine attaching the rib attach angles/nose ribs/trailing ribs, and most importantly the nose skin, will provide an opportunity to bring everything back into the straight plane but I'd like to fix it before moving forward. Has anyone encountered this before? Thoughts on fixing it?

I used the search function and noted one builder encounter this a while back, but no one responded to his question. (Hopefully he didn't give up and has a fix for me!)

Thanks everyone!

Picture mostly for attention.
    Attached Files

The bow was not there before the lightening holes? And the bow appeared in both aileron spars? Sorry I don't have a suggestion. Just wanted to be sure of the facts.
    Frank Forney
    Englewood CO
    https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
    EAA Chapter 301

Comment

It is not an issue. The nose skin will straighten the entire aileron out. If you fit the nose skins while the spar is clamped down to a straight edge. IE table or what ever you have.
      I just finished my ailerons. They will not be perfect after you pound the hell out of all the rivets. :-)

Comment

Thanks Sir Newton That was the answer I was hoping for.

Frank - admittedly, I didn’t confirm no bow after bending them but I didn’t notice it, and I spent a ton of time measuring things out so I think I would have noticed if it was bowed after bending.

Thanks everyone - back to eating this elephant one bite at a time.

Comment

• Sir Newton
          Sir Newton commented
          Editing a comment
          Thumbs up & hair straight back!

Hey NSLaw I think you answered your own question, once the trailing edge is attached the bow will go away, just be sure all your ribs are square to the spar and use a FLAT table, a bow in the spare is easy to get rid of but a twist in the aileron is throw it away and start over. Ask me how I know, I made 3 RV4 ailerons.

Comment

davzLSA 3 RV4 ailerons must mean you're pretty good at it! Thanks for the comment, yeah, I was glad to confirm there will be an opportunity to straighten it out upon assembly. I'll be sure to keep it square.

Comment

Working...
          X