Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notes on Forming Patrol Wing Ribs (Plus Side-Bar On Rib Fit to Spars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob recommends gluing mylar to 032. The mylar has parallel lines representing spars.
    I used a table saw to cut mdf with parallel sides that were 32 -0.032 (patrol spar center line is 32 inches apart).
    I then layed mylar on top of parallel side mdf.
    The parallel lines can be lined up and over the parallel sides of the mdf .
    They should be exact match.

Drill the tooling holes to forever match the mylar template with the mdf form.

I would recommend the tooling holes to be a little distance away from spar. I am trying to make sure there are no future issues with rivet to edge distances.
    image_11818.jpg

I use the word parallel to emphasize how the parallel sides are of use during assembly

image_11022.jpg Those parallel sides are at right angles to the table during the assembly phase.

​​​​​​
    Rough mark the top and bottom of the airfoil. Use a jig saw to cut close to the edge. Routers only can take off a little at a time.

After routing - the mdf form has two parallel sides that are exact, and two routed sides that follow the mylar - aluminum template.

I even made mdf forms that had notches for the flutes.
    In the picture below form block 3 has two dowel pins holding aluminum horizontally. The rubber holds aluminum down.
    Using a wood dowel flutes can be made. The assembly is held firm with the press.

LIke Spruceforest above a lever can be used to make sure flanges are 90 degrees.

notches.jpg

Fluting pliers will work. You will find that the first rib will take an hour to flute. Once you get the hang of it , it will only take two minutes.

Consider investing in a company that makes mdf:

mdf.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sjt; 05-24-2022, 02:10 PM.
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

Does my heart good to see scratch building skills being passed on. On other hombuilding sites I visit, old timers complain that scratch building is dead and gone. Not among the Bearhawkers.
      Gerry

Comment

Working...
      X