Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifting Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a smart way to go!

Comment

For you guys with more material science/steel expertise -

- how much does the twist/inch effect the strength for this type of lifting ring?
      - Is 1/8 thickness adequate? Based on a formula I found on-line (not always a reliable source!) it looks like 1/8 thick 304 stainless should be ok (3/8 pin tear out at ~2500 lbs).

The picture has a couple with significantly different twists as an example.

IMG_3763.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 500AGL View Post
        Both Atlee Dodge and Univar offer lifting eyes that simply attach to the front wing bolt.

Atlee Dodge offers a "longer" version which fits perfectly in a Bearhawk Patrol

Photos of the standard version in a cub:
        image.png
        image.png
        For $101 you can have a pair from Altee Dodge.
        Once again. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Although I agree with not reinventing, this is basically copying and $100 is $100. The steel cost $8 to make a pair. The twist only requires a decent size adjustable wrench and a heat source and the holes take only a few minutes to drill/ream. I'm sure I can find something else to spend the money on!

Comment

Hey Greg, when the steel strip is twisted the material it stretches, especially at the outer edges. A softer twist will preserve more material along the edges. We’ve not talked about work hardening and changes in brittleness. Just go easy to preserve strength and use thicker material.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
            X