Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fabric/paint weight for balancing elevators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabric/paint weight for balancing elevators

I am hoping someone can help me. I am not near my reference BearTracks, and I need to know the number Bob Barrows gives per sq ft weight of fabric & paint to add to the elevator lead counterweight. Anyone that has done their Patrol counterweights could also help me with the amount of lead weight they ended up using. Thanks. Mark

Hey Mark,

I started looking through the BearTracks and couldn't find it. However, I did find this on Russ Erb's Bearhawk CD:

Using a fabric weight of 0.85 ounces per square foot (as provided by Jon Goldenbaum of Poly-Fiber for 2.7 ounce Medium-1 fabric), I estimated that the moment from the weight of the fabric about the elevator hinge axis would be equivalent to a 1 pound weight located 7.5 inches behind the hinge line. To simulate this weight, I cut a piece of angle iron to a weight of 1 pound and hung it with a string at the appropriate distance.
    Update: After covering the elevators and mounting them on the horizontal stabilizers, they balanced perfectly.
    Last edited by swpilot3; 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM.
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bobby. Mark

I generally have been seeing 1 oz / sqft used in conversations.

Comment

Working...
    X