Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol Airspeeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol Airspeeds

I would think Bob must have documented the various speeds for the Patrol somewhere. However, I have not been able to locate. Does anyone know if Bob ever document the various speeds. I would like the following speeds to define the colored arcs on my airspeed indicator. Speeds that are structural in nature - V never exceed, V Max Structural Cruise, V Max Flap Extended. Then there are the two stall speeds - V Stall Clean, and V Stall with flaps. These would be from actual flying data.

It would hope that these speeds have been documented somewhere.

On the 4-place it is in the first page of the plans. I don't have a set of Patrol plans to check, but look to see if he listed them there.

Comment

The only speeds listed on page one on the Patrol plans is flap speeds.

Comment

I've seen those numbers posted somewhere recently but I can't remember where right now. Maybe somewhere on this forum. I'm sure I'll stumble upon it again soon and I'll share.
        Rollie VanDorn
        Findlay, OH
        Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Bearhawk Aircraft
          Vne - 165
          Landing speed - 35 mph (sound like Vso)

Greg King Flight Report
          (at 1500 lbs.)

Vso - 41 mph (36 mph @ 1200 lbs)
          Vs1 - 48 mph
          Vx - 56 mph
          Vy - 87 mph
          Best Glide - 67 mph
          Va - 100 mph
          Max Cruise (TAS) at sea level - 144 mph
          Max Cruise at 8000’ - 140 mph

Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks for the input. However I'm looking for the various speeds for the Patrol.

Comment

Those are the Patrol air speeds, I believe, at 1500lbs, as Brooks described. The top pair are from the Bearhawk Aircraft web site. The latter collection from an actual flight test.
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Chris is correct. The speeds for the Patrol. I should have clarified that I was siting Bearhawkaircraft.com as my reference source.

Brooks
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the Greg King flight report?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Fisher View Post
                    Does anyone know where I can find the Greg King flight report?

Thanks for the help!
                    It's on the Bearhawk website, under the "News & Articles" page. (Watch for "wrap-around" errors if using on a mobile device)
                    Here's the URL: http://bearhawkaircraft.com/wp-conte...ingReport.html

Just remember that Greg's report is for a 170 HP O-360 turning a fixed-pitch prop. (Specific prop type / size / pitch unknown to me - anyone?).
                    Last edited by JimParker256; 12-14-2016, 11:43 AM.
                    Jim Parker
                    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

The list of speeds I was thinking of included things like the different speeds for each notch of flaps and maybe a couple other speeds. I still can't remember where I saw that.
                      Rollie VanDorn
                      Findlay, OH
                      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

You probably saw the Max Flap Extension Speeds for each setting are published on Page one of the Patrol Plans.

They are 100 mph for 10 degrees, 85 mph for 20 deg, 75 mph for 30 deg, and 65 mph for 40 deg.

I think the only speed we are missing is Vno, the beginning of the yellow arc. Its is defined as the speed at which a 33 fps (some say 50 fps) gust will not cause structural damage. I supposes someone smarter than me can calculate it using Vs1.
                        Brooks Cone
                        Southeast Michigan
                        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Heres a pic of my Patrol Panel today. I usually run LOP but was trying to get in front of some rain so went rich and 75%. 150MPH TAS .This is with 31" Alaskan Bushwheels.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• JimParker256
                            JimParker256 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very cool! That's smoking right along – especially with 31" ABs... That's some pretty impressive performance!

At first glance, I thought you might have been in a very slight descent. based on the slight (2.5º?) nose-down indication on the Dynon display. But then I saw that the VSI shows that you're neither climbing, nor descending... I wonder if the drag of the 31s is causing the plane to fly slightly nose-down to maintain level flight? Were you having to hold aft stick?

And all of that made me wonder if the Dynon software allows for adjusting the neutral pitch setting, like there is for a standard attitude indicator? It's been long enough since I flew with a Dynon that I cannot remember how one might do that... (And even then, it wasn't one of the Skyview models...)

Thanks for posting the picture and performance info. Can't get enough of it!

Hi Jim,
                          Ya its a very easy adjustment in flight to change the Level location of the marker. I adjusted it once a few months ago and just haven't bothered with it. It actually never crosses my mind. Im actually flying on autopilot in this picture. I tell everyone the 2 things I love most about my Patrol is the heated seats and autopilot, lol

Comment

• JimParker256
                            JimParker256 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah, I vaguely remember changing the level indication on the Dynon D100-series that was in the SportCruiser I flew when I got back to flying after a nearly 30-year layoff, but it was long enough ago that I wasn't sure if I was actually remembering that or just imagining it... And I certainly have no memory of how it was done...

LOL on the autopilot and seat heaters. We only get about 2-3 days a year when I would might use the heated seats in my car (Dallas area), but my wife uses it a LOT more often than that. But I will admit that on really nippy days they're worth their weight in gold. I'm thinking about putting heated seats in my Patrol, at least in part because the comfort foam is reported to be really hard (at least at first) when it gets really cold. Once the foam warms up a bit, it goes back to normal flexibility, and turning on the seat heaters while you preflight is supposed to be the "cure" for hard seat foam.

As for autopilot... I'm leaning towards at least a single-axis AP. Seems like that would be a really nice feature for cross-country flying, or when you just need to take your hands off the stick for a few seconds... If I was flying IFR, I might be interested in 2-axis.

She gets much cooler up at 6-10,000ft so the seats are great. Amazon is where I got mine, 1 pad for the seat bottom and 1 for the back. Comes with a nice switch and bezel for the panel..I highly recommend the 2-axis now as it’s sure nice to be able to press the “Level” button and let go, or the “Track and Altitude” button and let go. Wing leveled is great but keeping it level is so nice. Here’s a pic of the options Dynon gives in the “Simplified” mode, see pic
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X